My Lawnmower Forum banner

Evaluation of an old ServiceStar mower

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ericjr16 
#1 ·
I have this mower here, a "servicestar transmatic" 11hp 32" cut 7 speed. It is my understanding that it is a MTD knock off. I got it a while back and always intended to snow blow with it, haul trailers, etc. But I ended up with toys that do that and this thing has sat since.

The gas was always drained and it was always covered so there is minimal rust, most places have just started to lose paint, and the engine is free, carb is spotless, and everything is fully functional.

As far as I can tell the only issues with the machine are the tires. All four have dry rot and probably would not hold air.

Recently I have been trying to get rid of it through Craigslist for something like a small plow, a arc welder, and almost even scored a Max2 6x6 that needed some work done.

Overall I have had crappy luck, and this morning I actually contacted a pretty offending guy who assured me it was not worth 50$ and he would offer maybe 30$ for the machine.

Something tells me it is worth more than 30$. I look on Craigslist and find similar machines that are being sold for 200$ and up. But then again, I do not know much about riding mowers and could only evaluate this one to a certain degree on my own.

So I am curious, what is the value? What would one of you pay for it?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to our forum. I am sorry that guy lowed balled so badly. That is a nice older MTD machine. I would sell it for $250-350 range. If everything works on it. You could install tubes in tires to save them if not too bad.

#3 ·
I would stick to your guns and keep it at what you feel is a fair price compared to what similar ones are being listed for in your area. Keep in mind, it's also in the off season and not when people are looking to buy this type of thing so much. It may mean that you have to keep it until spring to get your asking price.

As Eric said, I would definitely fix the tires and get it rolling. It will present even better this way. :ThumbUp:

#4 ·
That mower sure looks to be in nice shape! I certainly wouldn't consider selling it for anything like 30 bucks. As Austen says, nobody's really looking for a mower in January, so you might have to wait for the demand to start at the beginning of the mowing season to unload it for a good price.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! Probably would help to clean it up a bit first. I tried to search for the same model online and any information but had a hard time finding the same thing. Got it at an auction originally, but we built so many gardens that lawn care came down to a weedwacker.

#6 ·
Nedly, I would clean it up and sell it this spring. Guy wanted it for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.