My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEWBIE QUESTION... So I traded for an older John Deere GS45 48" Walk behind. The mower originally had a Kawasaki FC420V 14HP. Well the previous owner replaced it with a Koehler CV460S from a riding mower. Long story short the engine is wore the heck out. I would like to replace it with a newer pull start engine.

Would a B&S's or hondas' mounting holes line up? and as long as the shaft size was the same. It'd be an easy swap?

I found a good deal on a brand new Honda 18HP honda for $500 locally.
and I also find B&S engines online for a fair price. Im not looking to cut commercially, any recommendations on replacements? websites?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last time I used this mower I turned it off and then tried to start it again, Nothing. Wouldnt do anything. No clicks or anything. There is power going to the solenoid, its brand new. The starter is good.hooked direct power to it and it turned the motor. All the wiring looks to be fine.
Im thinking theres a ground or safety switch causing the issue. Before I picked up another motor, I wanted to try and troubleshoot this one to get a few more cuts out of it.
Any suggestions on things to check would be helpful. Thank you.

Any recommendations on a good replacement with a pull start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JayNC, check the activation wire on the solenoid (the small one that gets it's signal from the ignition switch. Use a test light to see if it is getting the signal when the key is turned to the "start" position. If not, check it at the back of the ignition switch the same way -with a test light and the switch in the "start" position. If the test light does not "light up" when the key is turned to start (when testing the switch) then your ignition switch has gone bad. If the test light lights at the switch but not at the solenoid then you have a safety switch bad or not engaging somewhere. If the test light lights up at the solenoid when key is in the start position you should hear a click if the solenoid is good (remember new means new; not good). If you hear a click but the starter does not engage check with your test light at the big wire on the starter. If it lights up when key is in start position but the starter does not engage then you have a bad starter. Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts