My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My Ariens walk behind finally gave up the ghost. It's got a 5.5 hp Tecumseh centura . Just happened a couple days ago so I haven't had a chance to crack it open and see what happened. I know certain tecumseh parts are getting harder to come by. ) so I'm thinking about maybe swapping it out for a 5.5 honda that i have already. Its on a craftsman walk behind. That came from my fatherin law. The hour meter/ tach says it only has 12 hours on it. Not sure the model all it says is engine family 3hnxs.1871ak. Hope this helps. Like to know what I'm getting myself into if I go that route. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
swap it out its an easy swap unless your mower has a blade clutch. you might also need a new blade adapter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope no clutch.. Sweet!!! That's what I like to hear. I'm sure I'll find a way to make it alot harder then it should be.. I'm gonna try and get started on it today. About the blade adapter. Would I only need it to use the Ariens style blades? If that's the case I probably won't switch it. Then I could actually buy blades locally and not have to order em.. Thanks guys appreciate the help..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had I known it was that easy. I would have done it a long time ago. Not even an hour from Start to finish. Longest part was trying to get the belt unstuck from under the friction wheel. Not sure how that happened but it was STUCK good.. thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
glad to hear it worked out for you. only asked about the blade adapter because some of the older ariens have a splined blade adapter for some reason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts