My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
Looking for a little feedback on a project I am about to begin. Two years ago someone gave me a 2003 Exmark because the engine quit running.( I think it threw a rod). Anyway its a shame to let the mower just sit in my yard because the rest of it is in great shape. I check on a brand new engine and WOW over2000.00 for brand new. Currently it has a Kohler 20.5 PA-CV640-3029. The mower itself is an LHP4802KC. Now I have been shopping the used market for another Kohler with at least 20hp or more. I have also come across a few other Kohlers with less that 20hp. My questions are what can I expect when I go to put another engine on the mower. Will it be an electrical nightmare getting everything hooked up if the engine is not an exact direct replacement. Also I know shaft size will be an issue. Will I have to get another PTO clutch if they do not exactly match. Lastly If I choose to put another Kohler with less that 20hp say 17, will I severly underpower the mower. I am trying to do this on a budget so I am going to try to do as much as I can on my own. Thanks for any suggestions or feedback.:2th:

·
Registered
507 Posts
17 horsepower would not severely underpower the machine...you'd feel it in certain, very heavy load applications but under normal use you wouldn't notice the difference.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
The price on the engine in bwdbrn1's link is pretty darn good. I don't think you'll find a new 17 HP Kohler for much under that.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Real old thread and OP is no longer around by looks of his post count, asked and ran!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts