My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Tried searching for this but surprisingly couldn't find anything.

HR215K1HXA Honda push mower.
18 years old.

When engaging blade engine will die. This only happens when trying to engage blade after mower is first started. When I can finally get the blade engaged and mow, I will not have this problem again if the blade is disengaged and engaged again. Read somewhere about trying to engage it with choke on and that did keep the engine from dying.

Had the carburetor off last Spring and to an unexperienced person it looked very good to me. I also sprayed carb cleaner in all the jets, etc. Thought for sure that might solve the problem but it did not.
Engine seems to run good once mowing is underway.

Anything else it could be?

Thank you very much. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
730 Posts
it's possible the eng is worn a bit...18 yrs old...and improves it's compression when warmed up...Hence, any heavy load on it when first started, can stall it...Perhaps a valve adjustment, or valve job can help..!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering about that Suspicion. Wondered if maybe I missed something when cleaning carb since I am new at it but also wondered about worn engine. That's why I indicated how old it is. I mostly have read about it being a carb issue so I wanted to ask on this site. Valve work is beyond my experience. Appreciate the input. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have basically the same mower. If I want to engage the blade immediately after a cold start, I have to choke it (otherwise it will stall). So I start the engine, leave the choke on and engage the blade. Once the blade is engaged, I take the choke off. This process has never been a hardship for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont suppose there is an easy way to figure this out? I was going to take carb off again but now I am not sure.
just a thought, Mine is a similar mower 536 HRH and has the RotoStop feature ( think yours does too).
if yours has this, could your Blade Brake bearings at 18 years be a little worn/stiff/dry.
if so, when first started they bind a bit. Once you are warmed up a) engine is more powerful, b) the shaft can turn the inner ring of the bearings (2x) more easily.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When engaging blade engine will die. This only happens when trying to engage blade after mower is first started.
Do you have the engine running at maximum RPM when you engage the blade? Are you engaging it "in one quick and complete motion"? (Owners Manual Page 31)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts