My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2005 DYT 4000. What would cause the 20 amp fuse to get so hot it burns. One time it not only burnt the fuse but the red and blue wire to the key switch, red and blue wire to the pto switch and red wire from the fuse to the ammeter. I have traced wires looking for a nick or rubbing on frame but cant find anything. Is it possible the electric clutch could cause this ? I bought this mower from a widow who for the last few yrs has paid others to cut her grass. The mower was in show room condition. Not a scratch anywhere. When I got it home I rode around for awhile and cut it off. I got back on it, turned the key and heard a click. Thats it. So I started reading the owners manual to see what might be wrong and it showed a 20 amp fuse. I pulled it out and it was fine so I put it back in and she fired right up. I thought hmmm. I guess i must have jiggled the right wires while checking the fuse. :dunno: Well the next time it blowed a fuse. I replaced it. Still nothing not even a click like before. Come to find out the battery cables were very loose. I tightened them up and she fired right off. I guess I must have cut 5 yards without any trouble until one day while I was cutting EVERYTHING just quit. Automatically I check the fuse. It was blown. I replace it with a new one. Get on the mower and turn the key and smoke comes from the under the hood. NOT GOOD. Thats when it melted the fuse and the read and blue wires to the key switch and pto and red wire to ammeter on dash. Now I might cut half a yard before the fuse is burnt. It may not "blow" the fuse but one of the spades on the fuse will be burnt eveytime. Sorry for being so long winded but this thing is really wipping my tail.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
That will be a tricky one to chase without looking right at it, You almost have to disconnect everything and check for grounding/chaffing wires. Sounds like everything is hooked up correctly as it starts and operates the way it should (When it did). By chance the battery itself isn't loose bouncing around while your mowing is it?
I have an owners manual with a wiring diagram if you need one. is your model #917.274650?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts