My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old "It ran fine when I parked it last Fall" that we`ve all heard before has come home to roost.
Tried to fire up my Yard Man (Model 13BT604G601) and all I got was a buzz from the solenoid-figured it was junk and replaced it. Same thing. The engine barely starts to turn and then noise from solenoid comes again. Plenty of juice in the battery. I even tried to crank it with the charger on boost. Made sure I had a good ground..Then I ran a wire from battery - to - side of multi meter and the + side meter to the starter and turned the ignition to start and it barely tickled the meter. (13.2v at battery). There`s a 20a fuse in line and it`s fine. At a loss as to why no juice to the starter?:help:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If the battery is a known good battery, I would first disconnect and clean all connectors to assure you have good connections in the circuit. Don't forget the ignition switch. Even if the battery reads good on the meter it may not do well under a load. You should have it tested as well. How old is the battery? 2-3 years? Might be on its way out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, battery is probably three, mabe even four years old come to think of it. I`ll use both of your suggestions. Ignition switch is hidden behind the fuel tank, but no sweat-4 bolts and it`s out of the way. Then I will have just about all wiring connections exposed.

Thanks for responding, gentlemen! Will follow up as I figure things out. I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you guys nailed it! Battery had nearly zero cold cranking power.

I gotta say that as we age, self 66, time really does seem to fly. I said 3, mabe 4 years? battery has a 2006 date on it! Lucky it lasted this long..
Again, thanks guys!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same battery issue here this spring. Had the 4/5 year battery checked and cranking amps were down to 133. ( at new 160 ). Funny this was battery with no load was 12. something.

Anyways....new battery and all good.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Same battery issue here this spring. Had the 4/5 year battery checked and cranking amps were down to 133. ( at new 160 ). Funny this was battery with no load was 12. something.

Anyways....new battery and all good.
:cool

1 - 9 of 9 Posts