My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cub Cadet 2130, Electric PTO disengages after running a short time. Melting the fuse and holder. Replaced the fuse and styarted up again to die a few minutes later. Letting it cool down a few minutes and itwill run for a few more. All connections and battery are good. Relay or is the clutch likely bad? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rbosse!

Shoot, I wish I knew more about your model and it's PTO. I'm bettin' there are a few here that are pretty savvy and should know what's going on with your Cub. It does sound as though you've checked everything and eliminated the electrical aspects of the machine.

A general comment about belt driven PTO's from my own experience is that friction parts can, and do wear significantly if the PTO is even slightly out of alignment (to the base or the belt). How does yours look in relation to how it's mounted?

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch mounts directly to the front end of the crank shaft and shows no significant play. I would assume the only curent to pass through the fuse is the 3 or so amps to energize the electro magnets that engage the plates. Possibly the clutch (due to wear) is drawing more amps but I would think the fuse (20A) would blow prior to this much heat production.

·
Registered
41 Posts
check the safety switch ...I had a jacobsen that did this and it was my safety switch i put a new one on and away it went ...Not saying this is your prob but its worth checking out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
had a susgestion that maybe the fuse holder went bad(slight short) and is causing the issue. This is the cheapest replacement part so I'll start there. This weekend I'll work on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
check the switch also Like i said i had a jac that did the same thing ..On my jac there was a toggle switch and a square block with a bunch of wires going to the clutch and the safety switches ..The block would heat up and the clutch would disengage 5 min later it would work again for about 5 min then stop again ..I changed the block and it works now ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts