Mylawnmowerforum.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone, just wanted to start a thread for this Eclipse as I get it running and work on it. It's either a '47 or '48, I'll have to run the engine serial# when I get a chance. I'll post more pics when I get to it but for now the eBay ones tell the story pretty well. It received a quick all over orange paint job probably 40 years ago, the engine was black originally and I don't think the tool box on the sulky is original either, it has the words "Sears Roebuck and co" inside the wooden lid....I have an original eclipse dealer manual with sales brochures, parts lists and prices and spec sheets on all the machines, also a cross reference of eclipse "series" numbers that translates to date manufactured, original engine etc...if anybody saved the eBay pics feel free to post them and I'll add to it when I take more. Any questions or pics of other machines by all means share them. I intend to fully restore this one as I have never seen one all done up and looking new.

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Good stuff! Looking forward to following along. That's awesome you're going to restore it!! :ThumbUp:

I was looking at the pictures with a friend of mine who also collects these and he pointed out something I didn't catch and that was the brake setup on the sulky. While not a factory installed option, it certainly would be a nice feature to have!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The brakes are definitely factory made. they have the crappy repaint and the original eclipse orange underneath. Anybody know if the round tube behind the seat spring was for an umbrella or something?

I looked through my master eclipse parts catalog and there are 2 sulkys in there but not this one with the speedway wheels on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having thoughts of selling this! Got it running but i really have no place to keep it (its huge) and if i restore it ill be afraid to use it! Really a nice one.

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Having thoughts of selling this! Got it running but i really have no place to keep it (its huge) and if i restore it ill be afraid to use it! Really a nice one.
They really do take up a lot of real estate! As I've said to some people, it's like storing a small vintage car in the garage. They are monsters and larger than most David Bradley and Simplicity walk behind garden tractors.

I remember you mentioning that a Speedway was something you were looking for for a long time. Is it what you expected or different? How so? What are your thoughts driving it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its probably about what I thought. It doesn't pull me with the sulky (traction) as well as I assumed it would, but I don't have a level spot on the place.....plus it is a monster wow. It's here, I know I'll never mow with it, maybe drive it in a parade next year or something. If boredom strikes it will get torn apart and painted but id be scared it never gets put together again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts