My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having this project languish on the back burner for 6 months, my Grand daughter talked me into getting back to work on it. It's now disassembled and had the primary degreasing. It will need more spot cleaning and then out comes the sand blast pot. It needs all the steering pivots rebushed and new rear wheels.
 

Attachments

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,359 Posts
Very cool Larey! Looking forward to following the progress. :)

They are definitely unusual machines that you don't see that often. Being that it will be restored will make it all the more unique. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not much progress on the Ranger. We are in the field planting corn now so very little work will get done on the hobby front for awhile. I found a pair of replacement wheels at H.F. for $5.00 each. Only problem was that they had small 5/8" bearings and I need 3/4". Found the 3/4" bearing at True Value, but each bearing cost $5.00!!! Not such a deal now.


Austen,
My Dad's uncle owned that mower, then my Dad owned it, and now I own it. My Granddaughter has placed a claimer on it, so I guess she is the next owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I did a bit of work on the Ranger here in the last couple of weeks. It has been hot so most work was done after supper. The frame has been sandblasted ( the paper suits get pretty hot) and painted with POR-15 rust encapsulater. Only problem with POR-15 is that it has to be scuffed to paint over. The rest of the parts will be blasted and primed by the end of the week. Paint will probably have to wait for a cool dry evening.
 

Attachments

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,359 Posts
Keep it up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The weather was a bit cooler Sunday evening, so I figured it would be a good time to do a little painting. I thought that brushing some of the intricate, closed in areas on the differential would be easier then spraying. There are a bunch of ribs and recessed areas on the casting that would be hard to get sprayed paint into. Well evidently I did not get the hardener ratio correct. As of today, the paint is still tacky and can be scraped of with my fingernail. Maybe a couple of days out in this 100* weather will dry it out. If not, I'll have to strip it again and start over. BUMMER!!!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top