My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you bother painting the underside of the decks? No one will see but you, so I take the easy way out and only paint th parts that will be easily seen.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I don't personally.. But I have seen people paint with something like a SharksTooth or Rubberized primer/paint for easy washing..

If I were to paint the underside of a deck.. I would just go for a matte gray or black.. just so you aren't leaving bare steel.. On Alloys it's not really an issue..

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Most of the time, no. Maybe on a keeper!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Whenever I have the mower deck exposed to work on something, I just hit it with whatever I have lying around, usually black Rustoleum. I don't care what it looks like, but I find it to be cheap insurance against deck corrosion. It also makes it easier to scrape the clumped grass off the underside of the deck.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
My method has been to strip to bare metal, apply Por15 and once dry, spray a layer of the paint over it.

I don't expect the paint to be there forever but I feel like it's still not quite completing the job without it. If you look at a brand new mower in the showroom, it's going to be the same color underneath.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Since my decks are aluminum, don't have to worry about rust. But they can corrode and pit over time. I don't paint the entire underside, just around the discharge area.:2cents:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts