My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have some friends from out of town visiting us and they rented a Mustang GT. I was surprised it was a GT as I didn't think you could rent that model but apparently you can.

They let me take it for a spin; first new generation Mustang I've driven. It was an automatic, but still got a little feel for it. It was nice. Not a lot of feedback from the steering; or felt kind of artificial. The steering would get progressively tighter as you turned but once on center it felt a lot looser (easier to turn). The power was linear once it came on. It is more of a revver and the doesn't really come online until around 3k in the mid-range and then pulls consistently up to until the red line. Initial input of the brake pedal is very very touchy. Overall it felt really refined and almost German.

Despite how much of an anti-fan of the automatic transmission that I am, I have to give it some credit. Instead of downshifting multiple gears and skyrocketing the RPMs any time you'd mat the pedal, it seemed to typically only downshift once or even hold the gear you were already in and just build revs from there. It makes things feel a lot more seamless that way and I really liked that a lot. Driving it in "sport" and it would noticeably build revs longer and shift late. Nice.

The doors are very high and the side windows are short and hard to see out of. I had to tip my head down in order to see out of the side windows. The roof line to the top of the door seems unusually short when you're sitting in it. I didn't like that part of ergonomics. Perhaps if I adjusted the seating positioning it may have helped. The hood seems really long when you sit in it as if you're sitting over the rear tires.

It did a brake stand very easily and will leave a nice set of 11s. Without the help of a brake stand, I don't think you'd get much more than a chirp from the tires though if you floored it from a dead stop.

Nice looking car, it was very low to the ground and the rims really went nice with the color. The front looks like Eric's car. By the way it sat you'd almost guess it had a lowering kit in it. I think I still prefer the style of the previous gen Mustang though.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
The four cyl one we drove was also a nice car. You'd do more if you shut the traction control off! I love my Fusion as it feels very European in handling and power delivery. For a 4cyl my car goes good for its size/weight.
Those Coyote engines are sure different than the 302 we grew up with!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, the interior was really nice. The fit and finish was great.

For sure I had the t/c off!

Speaking of Mustangs, I was watching some videos last night and came across this one that's pretty good. Funny recurring Miata driver in it.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Looked like you in red Diesel!! ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Miata MX 5

Good Video.. Always like burnouts!! As long as I am not buying the tires!!
What is up with the Miata guy?? Looks like he just wanted to buy a Clutch along with some tires.. Good 180 spin!!.. We have a Miata and it is my wifes summer car. It is a fun car just not alot of power. It reminds me of a go cart. Very responsive. That style in the video should be about 145 HP stock. My wifes is a manual close ratio 6 speed. Not overdrive. With the light weight it is fun on a curvy road!! Even the new 2016 Miata is a all new car and the power is still only around 170 hp. I thought they would bump it up to 200 or so.. With all these mega HP muscle cars out there..
The 302 Mustangs had a different sound. I could, and still do know when there is one going by. The 80's Mustangs had a different tone you could here. When they went to the 4.6L sounds like any other car.
Austen, of the new cars I have been in it seems like the doors have gotten higher and the windows shorter. It is even harder to hang you arm out the window when your cruzin.. Saftey reasons?? or Gangster car?? I have not been driven the new Mustang or the 16 Camaro, but I have drove and ridden in the Hellcat Challenger. HOLY MAN!! That is right 707 HP!! If you can get it to hook up it is scary quick and fast!! He was showing me on the touch screen. All the choices. You have different HP modes, Transmission shift patterns , suspension settings, guage displays and more. He put it in full track mode and what a difference!! Motor was raging, Holding the shifts, felt every bump in the road. Then put in back to stock!! Then it was like OK, going to get groceries !! Just very fast groceries!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looked like you in red Diesel!! ;)
That 6.4 sounded good! :ThumbUp:
Was it just me or did he have colored tires? The tire smoke almost looked red to me.
I really like the look of the new 'stangs. Sweet car!
:2th:

Good Video.. Always like burnouts!! As long as I am not buying the tires!!
I know!! Tires are always the problem. I was thinking to myself I should buy stock in tires. I wonder how many rear sets of tires that rental place has installed on that car.

What is up with the Miata guy?? Looks like he just wanted to buy a Clutch along with some tires.. Good 180 spin!!..
Yeah, what the heck was up him? He kept coming back for more. Poor car, that's not what Miatas were made for.

BTW, I loved that '03 orange Terminator in that video.

We have a Miata and it is my wifes summer car. It is a fun car just not alot of power. It reminds me of a go cart. Very responsive. That style in the video should be about 145 HP stock. My wifes is a manual close ratio 6 speed. Not overdrive. With the light weight it is fun on a curvy road!! Even the new 2016 Miata is a all new car and the power is still only around 170 hp. I thought they would bump it up to 200 or so.. With all these mega HP muscle cars out there..
Nice, I'll bet it is! A Miata is a true driver's car. Horsepower is not what defines a Miata. I think think Mazda is still sticking true to that with their latest generation. I think they did a great job with the styling.

Austen, of the new cars I have been in it seems like the doors have gotten higher and the windows shorter. It is even harder to hang you arm out the window when your cruzin.. Saftey reasons?? or Gangster car??
Yeah, not really a fan. If you were to rest your arm out the window on this you'd have to very awkwardly rest it way up. Different than the way cars used to be built and I'm sure it does have to do with safety.

I have not been driven the new Mustang or the 16 Camaro, but I have drove and ridden in the Hellcat Challenger. HOLY MAN!! That is right 707 HP!! If you can get it to hook up it is scary quick and fast!! He was showing me on the touch screen. All the choices. You have different HP modes, Transmission shift patterns , suspension settings, guage displays and more. He put it in full track mode and what a difference!! Motor was raging, Holding the shifts, felt every bump in the road. Then put in back to stock!! Then it was like OK, going to get groceries !! Just very fast groceries!!
Wow, that must have been a blast!! Oh man, I can only imagine how exciting that must've been. It would've made my month. I have not ridden or driven a Hellcat but it is high on the priority list of cars I would really like to drive. I'm sure you were shaking after the ride too. :D I'd a love to have a white Hellcat Challenger with black racing stripes and a six speed manual, please.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
we've had a new Camaro and the hellcat here at the job and all mustangs even the gt350

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Drive it like you stole it.... I mean rented it :)

NICE!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
We enjoyed the Four cyl we took out that time, want a 5.0 now to play with! ;) Test drive anyway!!

Reactions: Austen

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We enjoyed the Four cyl we took out that time, want a 5.0 now to play with! ;) Test drive anyway!!
Go for it! You'd really like it. There's just something you get a v8; the sound, the torque. As I've said in the past, I'm a sucker for the V8 design and in a lot of cases would probably choose that offering even over a more powerful version with fewer cylinders in the same application. I don't know, the V8 just does it for me.

The Coyote is a very rev happy motor. It wants to scream up top near its red line, it seems very content up there. I can't imagine what it's like driving the much higher revving 5.2 flat-plane crank V8 that's in the GT350.

You'll enjoy a good burnout too. It was one of easiest cars to do a burnout in.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Nah, I'll use dad's renta...er personal car!! lol ;)
I know dealer has the Richard Petty edition Mustang! Wonder if my saleslady could get me in???????????????

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nah, I'll use dad's renta...er personal car!! lol ;)
I know dealer has the Richard Petty edition Mustang! Wonder if my saleslady could get me in???????????????
:ThumbUp:

I think I remember you commenting when you drove the new Mustang how low it sits. I noticed this as well; in fact my Mom wondered how it would clear speed bumps. It's a weird observation to bring up in a performance car, but it's worth mentioning here. It's definitely noticeably lower than the previous gen Mustang which sat higher- that's for sure. That's one thing I kind of like actually about the Hellcat is that they sit a little higher. There's my 1% of practicality kicking in.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
right after my last post we had the next gen F250 roll through dressed in zebra stripes but unless a vehicle is in production I can't post a pic of it

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
right after my last post we had the next gen F250 roll through dressed in zebra stripes but unless a vehicle is in production I can't post a pic of it
Sounds like you must work in the auto industry. :2th:

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
It is really nice to see the new cars and trucks, it's also nice to see some of the classics that some of the executives owne, i'll have to get a few pic's on photo bucket so I can post them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts