My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome to the forum :mlf:

Model number of the unit ? Do you have the cables part number ? A photo ?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yup, looks like DR is the only place to try and get one unless you can modify something else to fit. Not knowing what it looks like, no idea what you might try.

Reactions: SilAro2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have talked to DR, and the part is no longer available. They have a substitute kit for the original part. I had forgotten, but I used this replacement part on another DR mower several years ago, and both the owner and I didn't really care for it. They replaced the thin(but strong)medal levers with plastic levers that are, of course, made thicker. My hand really starts to cramp only after a short time because of the very wide grip that it now requires(at least for me). Their redesign is better in some ways, but not in others...which is just my opinion.

Anyway, I have taken a cable off another parts mower(that i also had forgotten about), and I think it may work after a few modifications. I may have to order the replacement part from DR, but I want to at least try to keep the original metal levers.

Just thought that someone here may have, or know where to find the original part. I have looked A LOT on the web, been to a couple of mower stores, but have not seen or found anything like it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
How about photos of what you have now ?? Someone might recognize something that would work for you with your description and some photos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to Advanced Auto and purchased a package of various size brass cable stops. I used the largest one to attach to the cable AFTER I trimmed back the cable back 1.25 inches. Even though this worked(used the mower about 4 hours since), I feel that this wont be enough to hold it. Watched a YouTube video and now plan to use Silver solder to permanently bond the entire brass stop to the cable. Looks simple enough...

·
Registered
686 Posts
When you go to silver solder it take some photos of the process. Sounds like a great idea and good way to save a few $$$ from having to go to DR (if they had it). :cool

1 - 9 of 9 Posts