My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 1st zero turn, a Gravely ZT 50. I have some physical problems and from just playing around with it, it is a lot harder for me to get on and off of because I don't have the steering wheel to grab a hold of.
Then in my new owner zeal, the 1st thing I did when I got it home was to wax it......even the platform where your feet go.
Well of course now it is pretty slick so I have to be really careful now about getting off.
I was thinking (which can lead to problems in my case) - 1st I was thinking about why not put down some rubber on that area, then just poke holes thru it where the holes in the platform are ? I figured worst case would be I had to replace every year or so.
Then I thought, better yet, how about putting down strips of that sandpaper like strips they use for non-slip areas ?
I don;t see any problems doing this, but figured I would ask as I often overlook things.
Pretty trivial, sorry - was just wondering tho.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Not an uncommon thing at all. I've seen a lot of mowers where that is standard equipment, Snappers, Ariens Zero Turns etc. Putting rubber down is good too but the problem there is you get sand and stuff under it and after time it tends to sand the paint off and cause rust. You sound like you may be the guy who would clean it after every mowing but I think it still would rub off after time. The anti slip strips would stay in place till you peeled them off.

·
1,329 Posts
Not trivial at all, After a slip and fall on my roll-back truck, I bought a roll of step no slip tape(for lack of the proper words) I put them on my trk, bed in short pieces to wak on one side of the bed. when they get wear and needs replaces, the tape just pulls off. You might need to clean you wax job off in the step area,for good contact. 3-M product is good.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
:ditto: with Doc and FIVE!

I added rubber foot pads to my little (tiny) Yanmar YM1300D. Took my precious time cutting them down from a large truck wheel flap too. They looked good but....eventually, sandy grit found it's way between the metal and bottom side of the rubber. AND when the rubber was wet it was just as slippery :ROFL.

Did what DrBailey did. :cool. They've been changed out once in 5 years and all it took was a little coaxing with a hairdryer to get them to release.

My latest venture (on one of my bigger tractors) from 1- falling off and looking the fool to my neighbors as they laughed at my misfortune and, 2- trying something a little outside the box, was carefully masking and applying Truck Bed Liner (The WalMart stuff) to the step treads. Most everyone said it wouldn't work....kinda thought it wouldn't work either. But, it worked great. No way moisture or abrasive stuff can sandwitch in between and it wears like Iron. And oh year, it's not slippery even when wet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like that bed liner idea. I may give that a shot.
As for cleaning my mower after every use - wellllll, KI usually start out strong, but after a few years I tend to get pretty lazy about that.
Tho the most I have ever paid for a mower was around $1600, so I would imagine I will stay on top of this one longer.......
thanks for the info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.