My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first lawn tractor. It was a new closeout model which just came out last year as a Sears Pro model according to the salesman. Mine has a 42" deck with a Briggs & Stratton 20 HP V-Twin Pro Series engine with their electronic fuel management and a Tuff Torq transmission with cruise control. The deck raises and lowers electronically. I can't find out very much about this particular mower as far as other owner reviews or experiences and what there short history has been. Of course the salesman told me that it originally retailed for around $3700 when it came out last year and at that time was the Cadillac of the different Craftsman series. The hour meter only showed 0.1 hours when I picked it up earlier this week so I know he was correct in telling me that it was brand new when I purchased it from their Outlet store. I've tried the search engine but unless I'm doing something wrong it doesn't show any hits for the Craftsman CTX9000. From what I've been told it was manufactured by Briggs & Stratton. Any information on this mower would be appreciated. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Should be a badge or tag with the model type and serial # on it located on the shroud of the engine. You can look it up on the Briggs and Stratton web sight from there and get an owners manual on the engine itself. They use to sell the new mowers with an operators manual for the unit and a manual for the engine.
Congrats on the new mower by the way :2th:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Five Points: Yes I found the engravings which gave me the Serial No., Model No., Type & Code and I went to the B&S site and all of their Manuals are plastered with "Not For Reproduction" on each and every page so I wrote to their Customer Service and they've copied me a manual without the copyright protection on it and they told me it was in the mail as we speak. Thanks for the suggestion!

@motorhead12: I located the link and it gives me an overview of the series but what I was hoping for is that some of the forum members might have purchased one of the CTX series tractors and could give me some insight on any issues that they may have had with them or if they are the Cadillacs that the salesman was leading me to believe. I spoke with one small engine repairman and he's not had any experience on the B&S Pro series engines. I know in my model they only put a Tuff Torq K46 tranny in them and I've read some questionable reviews on their not being serviceable, I've since contacted Tuff Torq and they suggested removing the transmission from the mower and replacing fluid every year or so depending on how many hours you put on it per year. They suggested every 100 hours or less for maintenance. I think this is their low end transmission from some forum postings that I've seen so I just need to stay on top of regular maintenance. Thanks again for the Sears link!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I don't know much about the CTX series, and since they're a new line, there's not a ton of information or experience to be had about them. However, as more people buy them, there will be more info out there. About the engine, the Briggs pro series is basically an upgraded ELS(Extended Life Series) and as those are common engines, you shouldn't have any trouble getting work done on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts