My Lawnmower Forum banner

Do you oil your air filter's pre-filter?

• Absolutely

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I never thought about it before but now I may consider it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you one that oils your foam pre-filter?

It seems like the majority of used OPE that I've either worked on purchased always has dry pre-filters.

I always oil all my 4 stroke pre-filters with the same stuff I use on foam dirt bike air filters that seems to work pretty well. I use a removing agent of the same brand for removing the oil when cleaning them.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Never oiled a pre-filter unless there was specific instruction to do so. Neither of my Briggs actually came with a pre-filter for the paper filter. But I started using them to get longer life out of the paper filters. I only oil the ones were foam serves as the main filter. (Old engines) Use motor oil on them and a coffee can of gasoline to clean them before re-oiling. (Dish soap and hot water instead of gas works too but takes more time to get them rinsed out and dried so I prefer using gasoline.)

·
Registered
74 Posts
^ this.

generally they're so trashed replacement is in order.

on the little foam filters (Briggs "Quattro" and some of the little Tecumseh TVS engines), I'll put a few drops of 30W oil on them and squeeze it in to work it through the foam.

re: comment above regarding washing of foam filters:
I try to avoid washing stuff with gasoline because disposing of the old dirty gas is a hassle. Those foam filters are pretty easy to clean with "Simple Green" or Products | SuperClean (Super Clean), and they won't kill your lawn.

that said, a new foam filter for a Briggs "Quattro" (#698369 B&S) is only about 4 or 5 bucks at the lawnmower shop. how much is your time worth?
and "NEW air filter" makes for a better sales pitch than "air filter cleaned".

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I'm the exception so far... My Kawasaki just comes with one filter. Although I've seen where it does sell with a foam pre-filter online. I guess I wouldn't unless it called for it. Last time I actually oiled a pre-filter or the filter itself was when I used to purchase a K&N filter for our Ford Focus years ago. Of course the kit came with the oil and cleaner for the filter when you would wash it out and oil after it dried.

Here's a side question.... Does anyone use K&N filters on their lawn equipment?

Not trying to hijack your thread Austen. Just brought up a curiosity!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not trying to hijack your thread Austen. Just brought up a curiosity!
Not at all!

Here's a side question.... Does anyone use K&N filters on their lawn equipment?
I use their oil filters because I like the socket end on them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I oil my pre cleaner on my Husqvarna 23 hp courage, after each use I take it off and wash and re oil it, have gone all summer and main filter looks like new, as of today I've put 47 hrs on it.

I have always oiled any one that has pre cleaner, it's a little messy but it keep air filter much cleaner .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Again, most times if if it has a pre filter it has done its job. I either blow dust out of one that I see fit to continue using or buy a new one. Try not to mow over dusty patches if I can help it!
However I still wash some filters and squeeze with a bit of oil...
Whatever the job calls for :2cents:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've always oiled the foam pre-filter with motor oil as that's what's called for in the owners manual. I clean it in the fall before storage with warm water and dish soap then again after the first use in the spring as that's when it gets dirtiest. Both the foam pre-filter and inner paper filter are original to the mower purchased new in 1990.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts