My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 Dixon ZTR with some steering issues. Turing right has no issues. When i turn left I have to push the lever harder and further foward then I do when turning right. It seems like there is more play in the left turning lever. Before I messed with it I noticed the levers were not lined up, the left turning lever was a little more forward than the other. I adjusted the linkage from the turning levers, the levers are a little more even now but it did nothing for the left turn issue. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the steering or what to look for as in what is worn out or how to tell if things are not adjusted correctly. I have tried looking for manuals, but all i can find are owners manuals that do not go into much details.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
What is the model and serial of the dixon and what is the info on the trannys? Are they HydroGears? If so what are the models off of them? Should be a tag attached to them near the top of the unit.

You made need to make an adjustment at the tranny at the linkage connection there.
I would also look for play or slippage of the belt on the tranny unit. You may also be low on hydro fluid too in that one unit. In some the only way to check the level is to remove the vent tube on the top and shine a light into them through the hole. the level is usually @ 1/2 +- inch from the top. Some use hydraulic oil, some use motor oil like 20w50.

I did have a pulley strip the input shaft of a unit once and couldn't see it until I got to the top of the unit and was able to put my hands on it to see the wobble.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Five Points
The only number I could actually read was the serial number, DT-42-23667. It looks like the other number (if there was even a 2nd number) was completely worn off from rubbing from the outer unit(what you sit on) and couldn't read it. The only other thing I can find so far without taking the cover completely off is its a Dixon Zeeter ZTR 424 the code on the engine is saying its an 83. I have no idea how to tell if it has hydro gears. I been looking at part diagrams trying to learn what all these steering components are called. I have never worked on a zero turn and really have no idea at this point anyways as to what i'm doing. It belongs to a friend and I only offered to work on it because I have never worked on one before and he was fairly confident that I was not able to get it going since he had left it in the weather for about three years. Looking at it as a learning experience. This is one I should have posted some pictures on. The cylinder was rusted along with everything else including the float bowl of the carb. I have to say the engine runs quite well after several long days of working on it.. Now I have this steering issue and i have come to far for this to stop me... thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Well, It appears that what you have is some kind of pinion gear/clutch set up. I can't find a manual on it but from the parts breakdown it looks like you have adjustable rod ends that link down to the transaxle assy. You might be able to fine tune it from those adjustments
This is the same model as yours and it does appear that there are some replacement parts available.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Five Points
Thanks for the links they sure help out. I'm going to work on it some more this weekend and see what happens, besides the fine tuning on the linkages is there anything else that I can look out for that may be causing some problems? I'll keep you all posted on this turns out...

Has anyone ever ordered parts from Lawn Mower Parts I have been to their site several times, but haven't ever ordered anything. Just wondering if they were a good company to do business with...

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
You may want to check the condition of the clutches for any abnormal wear. I haven't worked on that type of setup before but it has chains and sprockets so I would check for wear and play there as well.

I use to order from "Jacks but it seems they have gotten a bit pricey.
Try our site sponsor Midwest Mower Pro, Midwest Mower Pro | Lawn & Power Equipment Parts, Small Engine parts, repair and replacement parts, Belts, Blades, Filters,
As I had a friend order some parts to repair a "Lowe's" rider he bought from me and had no issues. They happened to be the cheapest out of 3-4 on-line companies that I use.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Thanks for that info. I would have to say, not just because they are a sponsor, but I have found that Midwest Mower Pro has been very competitive with their prices and are one of the on-line companies that I comparatively shop with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts