My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know was there any other differences between older B&S engines with vertical or horizontal pull start system? For me the engines really looks the same, just different starting system, but was there any other differences between these engines? Seems like older B&S engines often have horizontal styled starter, then some models had the vertical pull, and again the horizontal pull starter made return. Of course there is differences with the flywheel between these engines, but i really not know about other differences. I have experiences both starters, and maybe personally i like more the horizontal pull system. Also i really miss the "easy spin starters", i still have this starter on my tiller, and it is so easy to pull and start.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Does anyone know was there any other differences between older B&S engines with vertical or horizontal pull start system?
Are you asking about differences between the vertical crankshaft and horizontal crankshaft engines?

The former are for mower and some power washer applications, the the latter are for utility and snowblower applications.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh i was just asking differences between 3.5 hp lawnmower engines, some have vertical pull start, and others have horizontal pull starter, are these engines just the same engines but different style starter? I just become interested to know, these engines really looks the same, only different starter systems.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am trying to picture the starters - its been a while.
I think the vertical pull used a gear tooth ring on the flywheel and the starter gear engaged it at 90°. The horizontal was the more conventional style that had pawl levers that engaged the starter cup on the top of the flywheel.
I might not be remembering it right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the answer. Now i become understand better these starters. I am going to buy for myself present for Christmas, book about service the B&S engines, i think i will learn many interesting things from the book, and also i hope that book will help me when going through my tiller project.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the answer. Now i become understand better these starters. I am going to buy for myself present for Christmas, book about service the B&S engines, i think i will learn many interesting things from the book, and also i hope that book will help me when going through my tiller project.
The vertical pull starters had a gear (plastic) that would be the first thing to pull up, then the gear would engage some teeth on the flywheel. Luckily I did not pay for that mower. I think that starting system is POS and since I have never had another one. The horizontal pull is time proven, the disappearance of the vertical says it all. It was a gimmick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts