My Lawnmower Forum banner
281 - 295 of 295 Posts

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Cousins husband stopped in last night with new work truck. 2017 Chevy Duramax 3500 with work box and ladder racks. It has a ton of power he said.

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Austen I noticed the trucks I used to drive were night/day difference. The Duramax felt fast when you were rolling, on boost most of the time. The Cummins was just bang from idle up then dropped like a stone!
Yeah, it's definitely a trade off. The v8 diesels have really good passing power and are 'fast in that regard but initially take a bit to get going until they build up boost. The Cummins inline 6 on the other hand makes near its full torque right off the bottom end then signs off in the top end. I was just talking with somebody a couple of weeks ago at work about this very thing and how he was saying unlike the v8, they almost feel like they "run into a wall" on the freeway but are very good for pulling around town and initially getting going. Yeah, if I could only have both and drive whatever I was in the mood for. Maybe someday..

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 · (Edited)
I like the color! :ThumbUp: Looks like a real useful work truck with the flatbed. Have you driven your buddies truck? How do like it in comparison?

Do your front tires rub the leafs on full lock?
The axles on the later Super Dutys (2004 >) are actually 2" wider than the axles that came on our 7.3s. This meant the factory rims on the 2004 > Super Dutys 2004 have more positive offset vs. the earlier rims. The track widths are the same, it's just that in the later trucks the axles were wider vs. earlier 2004 < the rims had more negative offset to achieve the same width. In order to get back to the stock track width while using factory later style rims on an earlier truck, you run 2" spacers.

It's explained here. He says "2006 and up" but it's actually 2004. :tango_face_smile:

· Registered
508 Posts
It rubs horribly with the 37s and no spacing. HOWEVER, I have a solution in the works in the form of a set of 16.5" Weld Racing wheels. Humvee takeoff tires will be going on them. The rims are 12" wide with some wicked offset. Should look killer.

Reactions: Austen

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 · (Edited)
Drove this crew cab converted 1st gen 12v Cummins today. The pump was turned up too far and was idling too fast as you can tell in the video because of it. Didn't like the stacks and some other things about it (check out those homemade wooden door panels); truck needed TLC and some things reconfigured. Fun truck to drive though, and fairly peppy too. Love the old first gens.

Here's a quick vid. The pump needed to be either turned back down a little bit or the throttle linkage modified to correct the higher than normal idle.

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Knew you into stacks and wood! You be westy red neck now like us NY'er neck now! BWHAHA..............
In Pa its big thing to run rigs like this in Scranton and Wilkes Barre. Saw them all done up like it, big stacks rolling coal and no mufflers at all. Turbo screaming off every light!

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Knew you into stacks and wood!
Nope, but I hear you are. :)

I am into these older trucks, though. I guess I just like the personality they have and the increased involvement you get from them behind the wheel for good or worse.

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
I'm tentatively planning a mid 70s crew W200 Power Wagon project this fall; 12v Cummins with G360, Dana 60/80 axles, cross over steering, Humvee military bead locks. :tango_face_glasses:

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
I'm tentatively planning a mid 70s crew W200 Power Wagon project this fall; 12v Cummins with G360, Dana 60/80 axles, cross over steering, Humvee military bead locks. :tango_face_glasses:
:0
Eating popcorn in corner waiting for pictures of the victim......... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
508 Posts
Update time: only kept my 7.3 until July 29th, 2017 when I sold it for $8500. That day I bought a 2006 2500hd 6.0 gas job. Back to my roots, I guess. She's not a diesel, but she's loud and really fast. Most miles I've ever owned, most problems, but it is by far my favorite truck.

Here's a picture of it with my plow on it

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 · (Edited)
Installed a new 6637 "blue" proprietary filter from Riff Raff Diesel. It's been out a couple of years now but is supposed to flow "37% more air over the standard 6637." I've been following it since it's been out and it seems to have gotten good reviews so thought I'd give it a shot. I'm not one to buy into marketing claims, especially when it comes to things like air filters, but thought what the heck. Only time will tell if there is any noticeable "difference" (not expecting much if any) but the quick obligatory and unscientific rip down the street says there's a little more whine inside the cab at low RPMs of the dual ball-bearing turbo.

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/donaldson-blue-6637-filter/

281 - 295 of 295 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.