My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does diesel flow in your blood? For all general diesel discussions, this is the thread for it! Please keep in mind that posts which include any brand bashing will either be edited or deleted.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I love diesels. No new truck or machine I buy will be without one. Gotta dig up some photos :ThumbUp:

Thanks Austen!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I don't own a diesel, but drive two now at work. Austen knows I am general gearhead!Me like Diesel!!

Reactions: Austen

·
Registered
686 Posts
We need to catch up with the Europeans. They have been playing with diesels for a much longer time. We're just new kids on the block compared to them.

Fun to see a diesel Mercedes or Volvo station wagon drifting :cool

·
Registered
507 Posts
The only diesel I own...at this moment, is our 2005 Kubota L3400

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as I appreciate modern common rail diesels for their power output, sometimes I wish their mechanical and HEUI equivalents of yesterday were still offered today simply for the unbeatable sound, low maintenance schedules, simplicity, and ability to run just about whatever you put in the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
X2 Austen! Was watching a video on the Hino trucks, sounds very complicated to operate at times. Manual regens of cat required and many different dash screens to verify condition of truck? Did some research and think it will be a 235 instead of 268 as it needs standard brakes for non CDL. The 268 seems to be air brake only.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I agree with you Austen. I have been working on Cummins diesels since the early 80's and the older mechanical engines were always so much better to work on. My personal ride is an 1991 Dodge D350 with 240,000 on the clock. No ecm or DEF systems in sight!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Who else is excited to see the new Cummins-powered Titan? :)
We have a training engine and aftertreatment setup at the shop. It sounds very nice and is really quiet. Will have to see how hard it will be to access things like the turbo once it is in chassis.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
X2 Austen! Was watching a video on the Hino trucks, sounds very complicated to operate at times. Manual regens of cat required and many different dash screens to verify condition of truck? Did some research and think it will be a 235 instead of 268 as it needs standard brakes for non CDL. The 268 seems to be air brake only.
You'll probably have to put DEF in too.

I agree with you Austen. I have been working on Cummins diesels since the early 80's and the older mechanical engines were always so much better to work on. My personal ride is an 1991 Dodge D350 with 240,000 on the clock. No ecm or DEF systems in sight!
Just getting broken in! :2th: I remember you posting a picture or two of it before. Have you owned it since new?

I've always enjoyed seeing the photos you've posted here of the new Cummins engines that you work around. It must be neat to see how the engines are configured differently for the particular industries they are channeled into.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Not pretty but it gets the job done. 1991 D350, 5.9 with 5 speed. 240,000 miles. Pump has been gone thru, ATS exhaust manifold, 4" straight exhaust system. Has the Cummins chrome kit, valve covers, heater lines, alternator bracket. B.H. air filter. Yes it leaves the "Black Cloud of Death.":ROFL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Remember these words of wisdom.:2th:

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice 12v! :cool

I like the configuration. I'll bet that it's a lot of fun to drive with that 5 speed... only the way to have it.

I'll bet it sounds great and gets down the road nicely. :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Austen, it uses that crap. A big tank for it. Smitty, sweet rig!!

Reactions: Smitty76

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Just be sure to put DEF in the DEF tank and nothing else!!! Already seen issues where diesel and other fluids had been put in and messed up the aftertreatment. :dunno: Got called out to a job site to look at a Lull forklift that was shutting off. Fault code said the DEF tank was empty. Asked the operator if they filled the tank. Got that deer in the headlight look and Huh? what's that? Rental company never told them about having to use DEF.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Impressive!

That would make sense the exhaust side of the emission system would be setup into place for testing purposes.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Smitty, the Duramax def sensor failed and told computer it was empty and was full. Darn near stranded guy driving it! I personally would try to remove it, but know its wrong too. New trucks def tank looks HUGE!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Could explain the reason I saw a brand new school bus stalled along the road first day of school here. Figured a sensor someplace probably failed already. I've had a couple customers, truck drivers and one owns a small trucking company complain about all the new trucks and one bad sensor and they shutdown dead. Little chance of crippling in from the nowhere anymore I guess. Crippling creates too much smog. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 295 Posts