My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I saw on MTF that the engine head gasket on Briggs single caused a members engine to smoke from a blown head gasket by pushrods. Figured we could look after guy picked up tractor this morning. I yanked head off and found no issue with head gasket. The rings are worn, can even see oil seep past on bottom. Would explain the smoke show from sitting for a few weeks, oil filled cylinder. Figured I will look for a better single for it and put it back together. I buffed it out to see it cleaned up. We went to Tractor supply, they out of stock on the belt! :( We got the deck ready to go! ARGH! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish I knew, I took this engine from the green Craftsman trade in. PO said the engine was tired. Ran with gas /oil mix. The piston moves some in bore, rings seem wore to point of oil seeping past on lift?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Wow, sounds like that one's been run hard! I guess it wasn't maintained properly, cause an engine that new looking has no business being worn out.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We put on deck yesterday and she mows!! Seems to run well and smoke free at full throttle, probably can burn it best at speed. At idle cool down, smoked. All in all, a great working machine!! Might give to neighbor!?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the tractor with deck on it!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It worked good with sweeper, but it slips in high gear on hill. Guess traction belt is loose or pulley is wrong?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts