My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DGT-6000 (917.276380) that wouldn't start this spring. I was pretty sure that it was the fuel, so added fresh fuel, new fuel filter, and new spark plugs, to no avail. So, I hired a guy who fixes lawnmowers on the side, and he drained the lines and tank and got it to start. He also serviced it too, and said something about the float when he returned it, but I'll be darned if I can remember what he said!

OK, so I'm mowing my WAY too long grass, and have the mower deck as high as possible and it's mowing fine. But, then I get to the drainage ditch by the road and when I traverse it with the right side being the low side, the engine would just cut out and die. Mowing it with the left side being the low side, it mowed fine!

Then, I started to notice that if I got into bumpy ground, it would start to cut out and show black smoke out of the exhaust.

I checked the seat cutout switch, and even made it to where it was pushed closed (like I'm in the seat) all the time, and I still get the same problem. I checked all other electrical connections, and found nothing loose.

I believe the symptoms could be either the carburater or something loose in the electrical, right? A new carb costs over $200, so I don't want to "guess" that it's the carb and be wrong.

Any suggestions, ideas, or something I'm missing? It's VERY frustrating, especially after I just paid to get it running from the winter and serviced. Grrrrrrr

Thanks to all in advance!
Ron

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
First off, how steep is your drainage ditch? If you could post pictures, it would be great. If the ditch is really steep, it may be causing the float feed in the carburetor to be unable to deliver fuel properly. Engines with float type carbs don't work well on really steep slopes, especially for long periods. If the mower works fine on flat surfaces, this is probably your culprit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, how steep is your drainage ditch? If you could post pictures, it would be great. If the ditch is really steep, it may be causing the float feed in the carburetor to be unable to deliver fuel properly. Engines with float type carbs don't work well on really steep slopes, especially for long periods. If the mower works fine on flat surfaces, this is probably your culprit.
Last year, I had no problems like this, plus the problem shows up on bumpy surfaces too, which never happened last year. The issue on the side angle starts at only about 5 to 10 degrees, not very much at all.

I was afraid that it may be the float. :( It almost acts like it's flooding, and when I stop, or get on more level ground, then it catches it's breath, and starts running fine.

OK, thanks! If anyone else has any other thoughts, please let me know!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Thinking outside the box, could your angle be preventing fuel to flow from your gas tank. The outlet nipple on the bottom of the tank may be on the high side and your fuel flow may be getting interrupted?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking outside the box, could your angle be preventing fuel to flow from your gas tank. The outlet nipple on the bottom of the tank may be on the high side and your fuel flow may be getting interrupted?
I hear you and good question. The outflow nipple would have been on the uphill side, but the tank was full. And, even at a slight angle (right side down), or bumpy terrain, it cuts out. :( Very frustrating, especially when there wasn't this problem last year. Did the winter gremlin attack it during winter? LOL

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I would have to agree with MHead that your float may be the issue. I don't understand why it wasn't replaced when there was any doubt with the guy who worked on it? Did he mention what the issue was as there couldn't be to many things to choose from, leaking, crushed or cracked tangs the hold the needle in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have to agree with MHead that your float may be the issue. I don't understand why it wasn't replaced when there was any doubt with the guy who worked on it? Did he mention what the issue was as there couldn't be to many things to choose from, leaking, crushed or cracked tangs the hold the needle in place.
I agree, and found some pics of the carb, and a rebuild kit for around $35-$40. Will take it apart and see if anything is obvious first (eg. float stuck, cracked, jet partially plugged, debris in the float bowl, etc.), and then go from there. Not sure why he didn't fix it, and I wish I had listened better when he said something about the float. Not happy either way, as he said he did a full service on it, but now it has this issue. Thanks for the input all! Mighty appreciated! This is a great forum, I've learned a lot just from earding other peoples problems, and the great answers that so many give. Thanks to those that respond on here, I know it takes time, but it's very much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Just a quick note, a float is usually not part of a rebuild kit. You have to order it separate. If there is doubt, its "Usually" just a couple bucks so you may want to order one with the rebuild kit so you have it in hand unless you take it all apart and find nothing wrong with it prior to ordering anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick note, a float is usually not part of a rebuild kit. You have to order it separate. If there is doubt, its "Usually" just a couple bucks so you may want to order one with the rebuild kit so you have it in hand unless you take it all apart and find nothing wrong with it prior to ordering anything.
Yep, exactly! In this kit (luckily) the float is included. But, like you were saying, I'll tear it apart first. Maybe I'll get lucky and some debris just is clogging it up. :) Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts