My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a John Deere JX75 walk behind mower that has served me extremely well, but I've run into a bit of an issue with it. This year while getting it ready for the year, I noticed that the right rear wheel (right if your standing behind the mower), was "slipping" engaging it's gear on occasion. At first I thought it was the drive clutch, but after tightening that cable up a bit (and breaking it and having to replace it with the newer version), I was still getting the slip. I then took off the right wheel so I could check the gears. The wheels themselves were brand new last year (the tread had worn off the old ones). After some detective work, I noticed that the gears themselves all look perfect, but the axles itself has about 1/16" "movement" back and forth, which then allows the gears to slip. I double checked the left side and there is no movement like that. So I looked up the rear axle/transmission exploded diagram that can be found on the JD web site. Here John Deere - Parts Catalog

It appears that there is a seal, bushing and washer that could come into play by wearing out and giving that play in the axle. My question: Is it easy to remove the axle (or the whole transmission) to get to these parts? Is it a good assumption the bushing might be bad, causing the movement? Any tips/ideas greatly appreciated.

Thx!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can take it off has one unit, but I would have a good look first to see if one can do the job without the need, its hard to believe that 1/16" would make it slip gears, if you do decide to the job when you take the parts off put in order which will help you remember where they go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts