My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I were to ask pretty please nicely enough, would you start manufacturing the HR214 mowers again?

Had someone say they were looking for an HR214 in good shape. With that in mind, I put together one from pieces that have been sitting around in my garage for months today. I had a transmission that I'd replaced all the seals and oil in, the deck that I'd cleaned up a long time ago with new tires on the wheels, and this morning I started sorting through everything I had on hand and sort of got carried away. By the time I got done I had:

Installed new piston rings and honed the cylinder
A new pan gasket and lower seal
New head and valve cover gaskets
Adjusted the valves and governor
Cleaned the carb and new gaskets and air filter for it
New coil and spark plug
New bearings for the power shaft in the rear wheel adjusters and greased up the ratchets
New blade and washers for the bolts that hold it in place
Mounted the re-built engine on the deck, adjusted the cables, fresh oil and gas

Several of the parts had received the Apple Cider Vinegar de-rusting treatment

Mowed my yard then ran it over to the in-law's and mowed theirs. Now I'm not so sure I want to part with it!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hmm.... Commercial special "HRS214" The S Being for "Special edition"... I bet every Landscaper would buy one as well and many homeowner...

A neighbor (Must Be 80+) down by my friends house who owns a HR214 Said once "Most Dam Indie-Struterble Lawn Mo'er ever been built" And Boy does that Ring true..

I have to say though, If Toro brought back the old Super recycler I would jump for joy...

-Stan

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, carried away, just can't understand how that could happen.. :p
Darn thing bit me like that Briggs bit you.

Warning: Never use a 1/4" drive to loosen the connecting rod bolts on a GXV120. Though the smaller wrench fits more easily in the block, when the bolts release, they do so rather suddenly and violently. The edges of the block are very, very sharp and the side of the average thumb is very very soft.:(

Tech info: Always have a good supply of flexible band aids in your tool box.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've looked those Toros over at the local dealer. Very impressive mowers for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Darn thing bit me like that Briggs bit you.

Warning: Never use a 1/4" drive to loosen the connecting rod bolts on a GXV120. Though the smaller wrench fits more easily in the block, when the bolts release, they do so rather suddenly and violently. The edges of the block are very, very sharp and the side of the average thumb is very very soft.:(

Tech info: Always have a good supply of flexible band aids in your tool box.
I just had a flashback and yes, 1/4 drive will leave you with a lot of preloaded energy when that rod bolt gives up! Bandaids... Suture strips!

Now, the big question.. Now that you had a chance to sleep on it, are you going to add it to your collection or let go to a new home?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The potential owner is out of town right now, and hasn't actually contacted me about the mower yet. The notion of selling it came through a third party, so the price I'd need hasn't been discussed other than between me and that third party. I added up the cost of the parts alone, so we will see if they would want it.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Isn't it funny that what was once considered a "residential" mower years ago, is now considered a "commercial" mower today:ROFL Of course they charge twice as much for it today. Times sure have changed:ROFL
Boy Howdy, You said it!

I can't believe how long the one I've had has lasted.. The deck is still solid after all these years and the engine (On It's 2nd) Is still going strong!

-Stan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts