My Lawnmower Forum banner

dead battery

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Stepney 
#1 ·
it seems like my bolens 1886 has takin a liking to draining the battery...I know it could be just about anything but my question is , is there any one thing I should look for, maybe something that these machines are know to short out ?...I am pretty new to bolens so just asking...thanks for any info by the way 18 HP kohler...maybe its better just to leave the battery unhooked ,about the only time I run the machine is plowing snow and occasional spreading dirt or stone..

#2 ·
First thing would be to go through all your electrical connections. Make sure they are very clean, and very tight. Make sure no wires have been compromised. Abrasions, cuts, cracking etc. That would be my initial approach and see what that yields.

I'm a big fan of battery cutoffs. These are the ones I use. One spin, no worries. Adds safety also.

#3 ·
I have no experience on Bolens nor the 18 kohler, yet...But, I just picked up a JDl110 with a 17.5 Kohler...mine had a wad of damp mud and muck nestled along the solenoid...I can picture a slow drain of battery thru it, if not cleaned up.....the red pos cable on the solenoid is always "hot'.. you may want to trace it and be sure its not touching too close to chassis...

#4 ·
I had the same issues with a 1256. I don't know much about the Kohler jobs, but mine had a faulty ignition switch, which when shut off made contact with the battery and regulator terminals. Another time my Wheel-Horse 702's regulator did nearly the same thing, one of the points froze shut and it was feeding power back through the generator and to the battery. In that case, though, the smoke was an obvious sign.. When I have electrical issues, I sometimes just do what Tiretrx does. It's so much easier until it catches fire you know!:sidelaugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.