My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to mowing, I'm thinking of buying a 2012 Cub Cadet LTX1046M with 64 hours, a 2006 SLT1554 with 163 hours, or a GT1554 to frequently pull a 6' x 10' heavy duty trailer up a small incline to hook up to a truck. Are these mowers capable of pulling the trailer a short distance?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
How much will the load weigh? If it's real light, you'd probably be okay, but I wouldn't toss any kind of load in there if you're going to do it often. These machines have hydro transaxles, and they're not very heavy duty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trailer will be empty when I move it. I haven't taken the trailer to a scale to have it weighed so I don't know it's weight. I move the trailer 5 to 7 times a month by hand with, occasional, help. Instead of using the wheelbarrow to move dirty, mulch and rocks which I do approximately 2 or 3 times a year, I intend to use the mower that I purchase. If the mowers listed aren't capable, what inexpensive mowers would you suggest? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I have a coupe of 6X12 cargo trailers and a small travel trailer and use a 1974 Sears Suburban SS/16 with a gear driven transmission to move the trailers around with. I had one of the 6X12s recently for registration in Michigan, and it tipped the scales at 1180 pounds. Yours being a 6X10 should weigh a bit less.

You might want to check the owner's manuals for those tractors you've mentioned to see if they specify a recommended limit on how much you can tow with them. I know that the manual for my Honda H4514, that has a 13 HP engine and hydro transmission, says not to tow more than 500 pounds on level ground, and 280 pounds on less than a 10 degree grade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts