My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this on the CC page and got no response, so I’m trying it here. Sorry for the double post. My Cub Cadet ZT1 won’t turn over. I keep it on a battery maintainer and it’s showing 12.27 volts, but when I push the start button I only hear a very slight humming sound. The lights come on. I’ve worked the blade engage lever back and forth. The pedal is pushed in to the max and there’s weight on the seat. It started fine the last time we used it. Because of the hum I don’t believe it’s the seat or another safety switch because I don’t think I’d hear anything if that were the case. Same if it were the solenoid. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
135 Posts
First start with a known good charged battery, then I would pull the engine cover\shroud and clean the top of the engine. Then look at the starter motor. Is it's gear down and free of the engine's flywheel, or is it up and locked into the flywheel? It should be down and free. If stuck up, then try to turn it and get it to drop down. You can loosen the motor's mounting screws to free it up. Watching the motor, turn the key and see if it spins and the gear rises. If it tries, the gear end of the starter may need to be cleaned and lubricated. If nothing, then I would suspect no power to the motor. To eliminat many mower problems, jump the Pos battery cable to the bottom of the starter. When touched, the motor should spin. If not, either bad battery connections. Try an external battery.

If the motor does turn then the problem lies in the mower itself. No click when you turn the key, I would suspect safety switches or their connections. Most common would be the seat switch. Detepending on machine you can disconnect, or jump its connections. Find and clean any switches you can. PTO, Neutral, Brake, Seat, etc. Hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts