My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While using my mower recently, something apparently changed to slow the speed of the blades. When I began mowing, everything was working fine. By the time I finished, the mower was barely cutting, even though I could see and hear that the PTO was engaged and the blades were turning.

The most noticeable change that occurred is that the distinctive sound made when I engage the PTO, which sounds like a prop plane about to take off, has stopped. Along with that, the blades will not cut thick grass.

I at first thought that the belt that drives the mower deck must be slipping, but I installed a new belt today and that did not result in any noticeable change. I also removed the blades and sharpened and balanced them. I took care to reinstall them correctly.

While I had the deck off removing the blades, I noticed that a long narrow flat piece of metal that attaches to the bottom leading edge of the deck was bent in several places, and it appeared that it could cause the deck to snag, so I removed it until I could bend it back into shape. It looks like the piece aids in creating vacuum under the deck. But the change in the sound when the PTO is engaged had occurred before I removed that piece.

I have not replaced the belt that runs between the pulleys on the deck. I did inspect it and it looks fine. I replaced that belt at the beginning of last year's mowing season.

I am wondering if it is possible that the PTO is slipping. I thought PTO's either work or they don't. When I have seen them fail before, it was due to a break in the windings that prevented it from magnetizing when power is applied. The battery in the mower seems quite good. Has anyone ever known an electric PTO to slip when load is applied?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

·
Registered
587 Posts
While using my mower recently, something apparently changed to slow the speed of the blades. When I began mowing, everything was working fine. By the time I finished, the mower was barely cutting, even though I could see and hear that the PTO was engaged and the blades were turning.

The most noticeable change that occurred is that the distinctive sound made when I engage the PTO, which sounds like a prop plane about to take off, has stopped. Along with that, the blades will not cut thick grass.

I at first thought that the belt that drives the mower deck must be slipping, but I installed a new belt today and that did not result in any noticeable change. I also removed the blades and sharpened and balanced them. I took care to reinstall them correctly.

While I had the deck off removing the blades, I noticed that a long narrow flat piece of metal that attaches to the bottom leading edge of the deck was bent in several places, and it appeared that it could cause the deck to snag, so I removed it until I could bend it back into shape. It looks like the piece aids in creating vacuum under the deck. But the change in the sound when the PTO is engaged had occurred before I removed that piece.

I have not replaced the belt that runs between the pulleys on the deck. I did inspect it and it looks fine. I replaced that belt at the beginning of last year's mowing season.

I am wondering if it is possible that the PTO is slipping. I thought PTO's either work or they don't. When I have seen them fail before, it was due to a break in the windings that prevented it from magnetizing when power is applied. The battery in the mower seems quite good. Has anyone ever known an electric PTO to slip when load is applied?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
ya those belts can stretch and wear but not show it until it starts slipping

i have noticed mowers with PTO clutches dont really smoke belts as much as the regular ones and its a common complaint the blades slow down or even stops in thick grass

change the deck belt and you will have no more issues

1 - 4 of 4 Posts