My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used GT2523 is good shape. Ran into a issue now. Just snapped the PTO / Drive belt for the 54" deck. No problem happens right. Just purchased a new belt from the local cub cadet dealer all 35.00 bucks worth. Put it on, started mowing today, ran about 1 hour or so, and now snapped the new belt.

Any idea's. Blew a fuse too. Which I replaced.

Thanks

Lew

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome first off. Look underneath machine for failed idler pulley and or rubbing guide. Sounds like something dragging, are spindles ok? Hit anything? Take look under deck too.

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, didnt see anything rubbing, spindles seem ok. Have used it for over a couple of months now with out any issue till now. Mows fine, until the the belt breaking

·
Registered
686 Posts
Since it's worked fine until lately it's likely something seizing between the PTO and the blade. Have you taken the belts off and spun everything by hand ??

I don't know your model, does it have one or two belts for the deck ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it has 1 belt for the PTO / drive belt and one belt for the deck. Cub Cadet dropped this design later. Having 2 belts. My JD 314 was easier. All the spindles did seem to move freely, but I would have to double check.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know the feeling as my Craftsman is presently down. I thought I heard a bearing and brought it back to the house and pulled the deck and sure enough I had a very bad idler. I have a belt to drive the deck and a second that drives the spindles. So it's a three belt setup with the actual drive belt.
you want to make sure each pulley is free to spin and not only spin them and listen for any unusual noise, grinding, clicking but also slowly rotate them trying to feel for anything. If it's enough to break the belt it has to be pretty bad and should be readily apparent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope checked all pulleys this morning. Nothing. Check all for sharp edges nothing. Looks like ain't been greased in a long time, so I will do that. All pulleys free, not noise.
cleaned deck while I was at it.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
686 Posts
Once you have a new belt on it (again) can you post a photo of the deck up and also down in cutting position ?? Would like to see the angle of the belt to deck and clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts