My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing bartering around my area and today someone offered me a Cub Cadet ads2160 48" deck mower for a laptop of mine. The mower needs a new battery and the carburetor needs to be rebuilt according to the owner and he doesn't know how many hours on the motor. I am not really a mechanic of any kind, but I have tools and can probably figure it out. I also do not have a means to haul and store a tractor. Those things can be borrowed. The laptop essentially cost me $95 cause of trading, it's worth about $200 and I have $200 in other stuff I have received as well.

One thing that has me hesitating is the fact that the mower is red. I looked all over the internet and could not find a red mower of this model. Can you guys help me decide if this is worth investing the time and $$ into? I suppose I could just sell it as a fixer too for maybe $300 or something. The owner said that a carb would cost about $70 and a battery $30. I am just not sure what I could expect to get for it if I fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Its definitely been painted...not well either. However, aesthetics usually don't affect operation. The carb might just need to be cleaned. I'd probably ask around $550-600 running and operating perfectly maybe with a quick white and yellow paint job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much would you estimate it would cost to fix it and paint it. Assuming all that is needed is the carb and battery?

He said it runs if you pour gas into the carb...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Take apart and clean the carb first. You can use the cans of carb cleaner, but make sure to wear safety glasses. Put it back on and your problem may be solved. If not, you may have to buy the carb kit and it runs about $75-80. At the very LEAST, buy new mounting gasket and the gasket between the two halves of the carb body. They are only about $10 total.

Also make sure the fuel lines aren't cracked or dry rotted, fuel tank is clean and new fuel filter on it. The fuel filter will save you a lot of hassle if there is any dirt in the tank or lines.

A new carb is about $250. A working used carb is anyone's guess. A carb kit is about $80, plus your labor. If you have any mechanical skills at all, you will thank YouTube for the instructional video. They are pretty much basically the same.

Battery=$30. Tally that up (battery included) and that is a high estimate of $290-300. Rebuild it and you are looking at about $110 with battery. Clean it with cans of carb cleaner and new gaskets will be about $60 with battery. The paint is not included in either estimate.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I agree with the guys that you're probably in for a carb rebuild/cleaning at the very least. By the way, I can see a can of red spray paint in the picture, so it looks like somebody was painting it right before the picture was taken. Not sure what that means. :dunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get the feeling he had that thing sitting out in the elements for a long period of time and the paint was really worn and ugly so he painted it to try and make it look halfways appealing. It may be as you guys say that it just needs a carb cleaning, but it may also need a LOT more done to it. My gut tells me to walk away, mainly because I do not have the means to haul and store it, even though I could get that it would mean burdening someone else or renting something which would add more to the cost of fixing it. I may come back around to it if I get more capabilities to handle a project like that.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
I get the feeling he had that thing sitting out in the elements for a long period of time and the paint was really worn and ugly so he painted it to try and make it look halfways appealing. It may be as you guys say that it just needs a carb cleaning, but it may also need a LOT more done to it. My gut tells me to walk away, mainly because I do not have the means to haul and store it, even though I could get that it would mean burdening someone else or renting something which would add more to the cost of fixing it. I may come back around to it if I get more capabilities to handle a project like that.
I sure don't want to discourage you, but I tend to agree with your gut!

The paint is a dead giveaway IMO. Anyone that would hose a lawn tractor like that is very likely trying to dump a headache on some unsuspecting soul. Too many potential problems when one cannot hear it run, or see it operate.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I agree, walk away from this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts