My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a craftsman here 2004 with SV590 19 Hp Kohler. Its getting spark, will sputter a little on starter fluid then thats all. Basic compression test with one of those that you screw in the hose with a coupling to connect the pressure gauge. Spinning it over few times it goes to 60 psi the 90 psi on next rotation. So not sure where to go from here? Got spark, got fuel & unless Im wrong, got compression. Any intelligent help would really be great. :dunno:

·
Registered
66 Posts
From your description, it sounds like it is NOT getting fuel, or the gas has gone bad.

I would try completely draining the system, including the carb bowl (and check main jet opening while you have the bowl off), and refilling with fresh gas. I've had E10 pump gas go bad on my multiple times, just from sitting over the summer (between June & October, when the grass dies off for the summer) in my mower tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As stated
( will sputter a little on starter fluid then thats all ) Im going directly past fuel issues by using spray start fluid into mouth of carb should fire and run for a couple seconds!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hello, have you checked the flywheel key? I had one broken just enough to keep it from starting completely. How is the valve clearance? Since you checked compression, doesn't sound like stuck valve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I pulled the valve cover to find the intake rocker & push rod had jump off! Will reset, adjust clearance and hope it fires up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts