Mylawnmowerforum.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Newbie on this forum.

I have a B&S vertical shaft engine. The bearing surface where the crankshaft goes through the crankcase is worn.
What do you guys call that bearing surface?
That cannot be replaced, it is machine into the housing. Do i throw away or is there a way to put a bush or a needle bearing in there?
Anybody done that successfully?

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can machine the case and shrink fit a bronze bush ( leaded gunmetal is my recommendation 85-5-5-5 or LG 2 )
Otherwise it is toss the crankcase & get a new one
Not a difficult job for the average machinist.
Weather it is viable will depend upon labour costs and new parts cost.
The only reason the crank runs on the bare case is cheapness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can machine the case and shrink fit a bronze bush ( leaded gunmetal is my recommendation 85-5-5-5 or LG 2 )
Otherwise it is toss the crankcase & get a new one
Not a difficult job for the average machinist.
Weather it is viable will depend upon labour costs and new parts cost.
The only reason the crank runs on the bare case is cheapness.
thanks for good advice!

·
Registered
186 Posts
In the USA or Australia it would rarely be done because the cost of making a custom top hat bush, machining the cases then fitting the bush and honeing it to size would be a lot more than replacement.
However Michael is from South Africa where labour rates are a lot lower than here and parts prices would appear to be a lot more expensive .
I know of one repairman who used to buy up all of the busted case dead engines .
I thought he was breaking them down for scrap but he was sending them to a shop he knew in Indondesia where the busted cases were welded up and worn bushes were repaired some got sent back while others remained there to pay for the machining as a sort of barter deal .
HE came to my place wanting to buy up all of the seized engines as well as the ones with holes in the cases .
I had been stockpiling them to pinch parts and with the long term idea of doing the same as I have all of the kit needed to do it apart from that spare time.
I had some spare time but I must have putit in a box some where caue I can't seem to find it now.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Not sure about the Briggs you speak of but I do know that on the old Lawnboy 2 cycle engines that had a bronze bushing on the bottom of the case that there are those that have had success in having the bronze bushing machined out and a needle bearing installed. Didn't seem like a big deal for a qualified machine shop. Good luck. Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts