My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a look at a Craftsman YTS4500 lawn tractor with a Kohler Courage SV735S 26 HP for a neighbor. It is surging. I'm going to try and post a video so that you can hear the surging. I immediately thought that it was a fuel issue, so I completely removed the carburetor and cleaned it thoroughly. It's still surging. I tried it without the air filter, thinking that maybe it was clogged. Same thing. It seems to surge much less if I run it at full power. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to add that there seems to be an adjustment screw on the carburetor, but I don't know how to get to it while the engine is running in order to make an adjustment.

·
Registered
344 Posts
put some WD40 in a trigger sprayer (not an aresol can, you may singe your eyebrows) and with the engine running, spray down the carb mounting area and the choke and throttle shafts on top.
if the engine, Runs better, runs worse, or blows white smoke and sputters more.... you've found an intake leak causing a LEAN running condition.
Now if i remember correctly on this carb, the main idle (pilot) jet is behind a welch plug and that may need to be removed and cleaned and a new welch plug installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was prepared to start it up and spray the WD40. I decided to replace the fuel filter first, and then started it up. I adjusted the mixture screw out a tad, and that was it! The surging stopped! Thanks, as always, Scrubcadet10, for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts