My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a craftsman tractor about 8 years old, it has a 15.5 hp kohler engine. Last year, like all the others I clean it, remove the battery and do the basics before storage. I charged the battery prior to the new season and installed. It fired as it should but found after several stops and starts the battery became weaker until finally it just clicks when the key is turned. The battery is about 3-4 yrs old. The amp meter on the tractor was on the positive side at running rpms indicating to me it was charging. I placed it back on my digital charger and it gave me no indication it was bad. Where do I look next?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Murph, welcome to the site.

Was your battery on a trickle charger or on a full complete charge over the winter?

The battery may be low on battery acid. You could try filling it back up with some to help restore its life. Adding a bit of distilled water and then recharging it back up on a charger is something you can try as well as a temporary solution if you don't have a battery acid source. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, the battery was out of the tractor in the heated garage all winter with nothing on it. Just before reinstall I charged it to full and the above mentioned was the result.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts