My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic end of the motion control rod (which attaches to the FWD/REV shifter) for my Craftsman T2400 46" riding mower (P/N 917.250831) has broken and I'm unable to find this part (see attached photos) described anywhere on the net.

Does anyone have an idea as to where I can find this part described on the net, or better yet, know an online store where I can purchase a replacement for the plastic part of the rod, or the entire assembly?

Thanks,
Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark, Excellent! Just what I needed. Wondering why the part snapped, so I ordered the entire assembly that you provided. Will follow up with the results...that's if I remember to do so.

Thanks!
Roger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grunt,

Great information provided, thanks! Will stash this info away just in case the assembly I ordered from Sears is a bust. Not sure why they put plastic in leverage link parts, so I will definitely stash this if I feel going to a steel part is a better solution.

Thanks!
Roger

·
Administrator
6,272 Posts
Mark, Excellent! Just what I needed. Wondering why the part snapped, so I ordered the entire assembly that you provided. Will follow up with the results...that's if I remember to do so.

Thanks!
Roger
:Thumb up: Keep us posted how it works out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark,

IT WORKS! I received the assembly today, took off and installed just the parts I needed, and now it shifts just like it did before it broke. The linkage still needs a little fine tuning to keep it at the highest speed, but I do get all 3 gears and the tractor now runs much faster than it ever did before when you hold the forward level all the way down.

The reason the part broke was there were so much old grass cuttings built up inside the transmission compartment that compaction was preventing linkage movement, so muscling up on the motion lever was clearly not a good idea.

I'm the second owner of this mower and share it with my son. I suspect the hidden area around the shift linkage had never been inspected or cleaned before. In order to get to the heart of the matter I had to remove the transmission shroud (actually I cut it out....I know...) and then I spent quite a lot of time digging out the rock hard compacted grass with screwdrivers and a grass blower. It's clean now and with the new parts you recommended installed, it's now working just fine.

Thanks so much!
Roger

·
Administrator
6,272 Posts
Good job Roger! :2th: With all that grass build up gone the transmission should run cooler too. :shifting:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Chaps. I've been searching high and low for the part Roger was seeking. I was excited to see Mark's advice and Roger's positive response. When I went to the link Mark kindly supplied I found the below (screen shot Sears parts). I couldn't see my damaged part within the Sears assembly (photo below). My model number is 944.604150 (Canada) or 917.604150 (U.S.). Hoping you can help because I've been searching for a long time. Much appreciate any advice. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts