My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lower drive belt broke on my 17.5 HP 42" Craftsman. I went to the parts list under the hood (attached) and because they're not carried in our local stores, I ordered the best quality 954-04249A replacement belt I could find online. Specs say it is 71 inches but the one that I took off seems a LOT longer than 71 inches. Has anybody had any similar experiences?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
71" is just about 6 foot. Is the broken belt as long as you are tall?
Yes. It's 91 inches long. It broke so I measured end to end. It looks like it had steel wire running through the center so I don't think it stretched 20 inches... The belt was very weathered and cracked as it was the original belt on a 2015 machine. I replace the deck belt about twice a year and that belt is the one spec'd.

·
Registered
94 Posts
:unsure: Does the old belt still have a part number on it? That would be crazy if the old belt is that long, with the same part number.
I replace the deck belt about twice a year and that belt is the one spec'd.
If your machine is hard on deck blade belts, try a D&D Power Drive Kevlar belt. You can use any Kevlar reinforced belt. D&D are very good quality and the "go to" for that type of belt. You can get them from "offroadbelts.com" or I find them (D&D belts) on Ebay. Your blade belt, 764-04060b, is 1/2 x 96.5". The closes Kelvar belt is 1/2 x 96.0" The tension idler should be able to make up the 1/2" difference.
PS what is the model / part number and serial number is your T1000?
Offroadbelts site (link)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Machine was bought new in 2015. I have a shed I store it inside between mowings and over winter.
The belt I ordered for the lower drive is D&D. The cheaper rubber belts just don't strike me as a good idea. Too stretchy. I got the D&D on Amazon. It was more expensive than the link you sent but 2-day free delivery will make up the added cost. A local shop would order in but cost was over $100. Amazon shipment arrives tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if I can get a 70.9 inch belt on where a 91 inch came off...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts