My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I am trying to fix a craftsman riding mower i bartered for. Model # 917.259541. The lower steering shaft end seems to be smaller diameter then the steering wheel adapter(part437747). According to sears there is a steering extention. However there is no pre drilled hole in lower steering shaft that would align with the holes in the steering extention part( 153721). So i am unsure if i need to use a different setup or just drill holes in lower steering shaft. Fyi the lower shaft is threaded and has 2 flat sides that match the shape of steering wheel adapter its just a smaller diameter. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Did you remove that steering shaft from the tractor yourself, or was the tractor in parts when you got it?

It's kind of hard to tell, but looking at the fuzzy photos Sears has on the parts list for this tractor, 917.259541, it looks like the lower shaft they show has a hole in the top of it rather than a flattened end.
PD_0057_274_156546.jpeg

Maybe that extension you mention slips onto the lower shaft and is then held in place by the bolt and nut shown on the diagram.:dunno: The parts diagram shows a bolt going down through the steering wheel into the extension

Just a guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts