My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Stupid question time for me.....

The neighbors opposed twin on his craftsman gave up the ghost. I can barely turn it by the flywheel screen and then only about 20 degrees or so. Oil leaking by the starter and will not crank. Probably a hole behind the starter where the oil is coming out from a thrown left rod.

Now it blows up and I think they are thinking it was something I did when I got it running right a few months ago because "It was running great until this happened". All I did was clean the carb (three times), put on spindles and belt, fix kill switch and lube.

Anyway, I was wondering...since this is a 2001 Craftsman with opposed twin, is there a better option for an engine than the original and if so what engine? How hard is it to replace? The only reason I ask is this will be my first replacement on a rider and I pretty much would like a "bolt on and go" install and not have to rewire that much since I am not electrically inclined.

I have a line on an opposed twin Briggs. It has compression, but its history and running condition is questionable. I am willing to take a chance for $75.00 but would rather have a ringer than a gamble. :scratch::^:

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
didnt you fix this before when it would turn over or was that someone else? anyway, briggs ics, particularly flatheads, are very reliable and my 12.5 starts on the first pull in the summer and 2nd pull in the fall. ive heard good things about kohler COMMANDS,not courages and kawasakis, but my choice if i had the money to spend would be a honda gxv390 if i had the money, they are a lower horsepower engine but have plenty of torque, as do all honda ohvs, which i think is more imporant than horsepower

·
Registered
507 Posts
Any Briggs single or twin would bolt right up and be compatible.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
didnt you fix this before when it would turn over or was that someone else?
That was another neighbor with a single cylinder Briggs. (Easiest fix ever post). This one I did some pretty quick patchwork on to get it running within the week so he could mow again.

Any Briggs single or twin would bolt right up and be compatible.
Hey Vortec-The molex wiring connectors and all will fit right up with no modification? would figure they would be different. If that is the case, that puts a new spin on things. I can get lesser hp engines all day long. :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
We swapped engines a lot, any Craftsman engine swap is easy if you take muffler and such. Look for a good machine with bad transaxle from CL or EBAY. If not, just get that Opposed twin. Usually they are very tough engines! We only had two dead, from lack of oil! :(

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
if its just a crack and not a hole, sometimes you can braze it with aluminum welding rods and rebuild it but its better for push mowers because the hump left sometimes will not allow starter installations, but push mowers are almost always pull start

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. The way these neighbors are acting I want it to definitely run, but I don't want to take any un-needed risks as far as brazing and such. If I rebuilt it and it went again, they would definitely blame me.

I would much rather take another lesser hp engine and make it run right with less power than take a chance on rebuilding it and having it grenade while his misses is on it again.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Pocket, sounds like finding a newer LT1000 with Intek would solve issue with those neighbors. Sucks when people do this! My uncle accused us of messing up his car when we rotated his tires, ABS light came on! Was nothing we did, just way it happened! I never did anything for his car again! Let him pay dealer!!

Reactions: Pocketraisins

·
Registered
507 Posts
The only thing about the Intek's is to make sure no fuel gets in the oil. It happens a lot and kills the motors. As long as the stator wire has 2 terminals, you'll be good to go. The kill wire sometimes is different, if it has one round wire a flathead will bolt right in without any wiring changes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just may do that Eric. She never came right out and said it, but the way the interrogation was going you knew for a fact where she was getting at. She asked me "Why did it throw a rod? It was a good engine. Something had to cause it that wasn't happening to it before...etc....etc...etc...

I told her until its torn down, you will never know what happened. It could be any host of reasons. Even then you may not know what "caused" the problem...only the end result which we know right now. Blown engine.

I also told her since it was given to them by one of their parents when they bought the house no one knew how well it was maintained before they got it. In addition, it was built in 2001 and is well over 13 years old. Running the way it was for two years, they got good use out of it. (I don't think that's what they wanted to hear, lol!) :bag:

·
Registered
730 Posts
If I were doing it, I'd stick with BS Opposed Twins...Cheapest eng avail on the used market right now, at least where I am...and the old eng will be a good parts donor for future...keep the cost low...it is a craftsman !

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
As everyone else was saying, Pretty much any Single or twin Briggs should bolt up and run great.. providing you get the wiring hooked up.. Which honestly shouldn't be that hard.

-Stan :2th:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts