My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help? My riding mower's left rear drive wheel does not have power to it. Both rear wheels would spin on snow when plowing too much snow, now the left doesn't which I assume could be the left differential gear in the transaxle, possibly, as well as some others connected to it. If I take the transaxle out of the mower, and split the case in the vertical upright position, will the internal components stay in their location inside the lower half of the case, while I remove the top half, and will there be any components that will fall out of the top half of the case that I carefully lift off? On U-Tube there were a few videos showing splitting the transaxle case and replacing gears, etc. but these were all cases that were horizontal positioned and could be split from the top with nothing falling out, not like the case I have which splits from side to side and everything assembled and held in place by the two cases from side to side. Any suggestions on a video of this process, or any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a new member and hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thank you very much for your help. Doc

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Welcome Doc! Any chance it could just be a sheared key allowing the rim to turn on the axle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I took the transaxle off the mower, and split the case, and there is no key that is anywhere. It has two axles and I cannot see any damaged gears, all the teeth look excellant, on the gears inside the case, all the gears spin nice on their shafts, and not sloppy or damaged splines. I am at a total loss as to what the problem is. You can look at the crafstman website for this mower and see a blowup of the transaxle, and there is no shear key located anywhere, and I figured splitting the case and looking in there I would be able to see something wrong. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
I am wondering if there is a key in the axle where a small gear sits that drives one of your wheels. (I could not find this mower on the Sears website. Could you send me the URL?)

As long as you could not find anything glaringly broken inside the case, that makes things a bit easier as far as a fix. Just have to find what's broken!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it possible the key or key slot in the wheel failed and there is nothing wrong with the transaxle. I had a craftsman where the original key and slot became rounded over time and rolled in the slot during load. Have a good one. Geo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Brad, I typed in searspartsdiect.com and it sent to their parts lookup, then in search typed in the model number 28947, and got blowup schematics of the mower.
I hope you can see them too. I put everything back together today, and when I drove out of the garage, both wheels left a couple of skid marks from the chains on the slippery concrete. I don't know what happened but the thing works now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi geogrubb,

I put everything back together today, and when I drove out of the garage, both wheels left a couple of skid marks from the chains on the slippery concrete. I don't know what happened but the thing works now. Thank you for trying to help, There is no key ways, evrything has splines and they are all ok. Still a big mystery to me.
Doc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts