My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after I got this engine up and running good my father used it to mow tow rental houses. He said it did fine and then came home unloaded it and was going to mow the grass at home and he said it wouldn't move forward or reverse but the engine was still running good. My friend that helped on the engine said after we got it running yesterday and he drove it around he said it felt like the transmission was slipping? But I drove it around and I couldn't tell anything. It's a mower I didn't know it's transmission could even slip? Anyway is there anything worth checking to see that could cause it not to move forward or reverse? I'm hoping the transmission didn't blow up. That would be a pile of garbage then if it's anything difficult to repair.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
First thing I would check is for any sheared keys in the drive pulley or one of the wheels allowing the shaft to turn within them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the belts are bad?

On this 13.5 mid engine rider, 30" deck Craftsman I went and checked it out again. It wouldn't move when the clutch pedal was released and in gear with the engine running. Forward or reverse. So I looked at the belts. The belt that drives the mower has cracks everywhere and a lot of play in it. The belt that drives the blade looks ok but has a lot of slack with the blade disengaged but squeals when it's first engaged. I noticed the clutch pedal takes no force to push it in. Is the pedal suppose to have any tightness to it? It said there was a clutch adjustment to tighten the slack on the belt. So I ran the adjustable nut almost all the way until the end of the rod and I could now get the mower to go forward or reverse. However, sometimes when you let off the clutch pedal doesn't come all the way up you have to lift it with your hand to get it moving. Still the pedal has a loose feel to it. I notice when you turn sharp too it struggles a bit until you straighten out. Could the belts be the problem? It says you have to remove the mower deck to change both belts. Is it a difficult task to change the belts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like the belts need replaced. The deck will have to come off. Before removing the old belts draw a diagram so your not left scratching your head when your trying to put the new ones on. the drive belts are usually easy to put on, you may have to loosen some idler pulleys to get them on/off. good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts