My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this riding mower that is about 5 years old. Model # 247.28881.
The rear belt broke yesterday so I ran down to Lowes and get a new one. The problem is I cant get the new one on.
It is a short 35 inch belt for the rear drive wheels and only runs along three pulleys.
The main pulley, the biggest one is right up against the frame and I have no idea how to get the new belt on that pulley.
I have googled my butt off, called Craftsman who said they dont have a diagram for repair. Anyone have this mower and have a solution?

·
Premium Member
9,017 Posts
Welcome Rick! First off welcome to MTD ownership. I know you have a Craftsman, but it is made by MTD and has one of the more difficult to replace rear CVT belt.
TractorData.com Craftsman 247.28881 tractor information

TRANSMISSION Diagram & Parts List for Model 24728881 Craftsman-Parts Riding-Mower-Tractor-Parts | SearsPartsDirect

Here is a video of someone doing one like yours. Your machine is made in many forms under different names, as is this Bolens.

Your machine is a good one, just this belt system is kinda hard to get too, my father hates doing them and I usually wear the scars from a week!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have this riding mower that is about 5 years old. Model # 247.28881.
The rear belt broke yesterday so I ran down to Lowes and get a new one. The problem is I cant get the new one on.
It is a short 35 inch belt for the rear drive wheels and only runs along three pulleys.
The main pulley, the biggest one is right up against the frame and I have no idea how to get the new belt on that pulley.
I have googled my butt off, called Craftsman who said they dont have a diagram for repair. Anyone have this mower and have a solution?

YOU HAVE TO DROP THE REAR END TO CHANGE THESE BELTS. I HAVE PERONALLY DONE IT ON THIS MODEL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts