My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor with a 18.5 Briggs and Stratton Intek OHV motor 31P777-0348-E1 that keeps killing the armtature Magneto.
After mowing the lawn last spring, I shut off the tractor to empty the bagger and when tried to restart it it would not start. The engine had no spark and I figured out the magneto was bad. I replaced the magneto and it started right up. I mowed the lawn as usual and shut it off to empty the bagger, and it was dead again. This time when I ordered the magneto P/N 795315 the part that came in was 799650. Was there as issue with the old design. Think that there was a design issue and the new design was the answer, I installed the new magneto and the tractor fired right up. It was a little rough when it first started, but after a few minutes it smoothed out and I mowed the lawn. When I was finished I shut it down to empty the bagger...and ....you guessed it, there was no spark again. I know it is the magneto again, but do not know why this is happening. I have tried a new plug, checked the seat, brake and clutch switches and they seem fine. I have inspected the wiring and there are no burnt or frayed wires. I am at a loss Please:help:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark, I was talking with some friends about this today and I was thinking of what was happening when I shut the tractor off. One of my buddies ask if it backfired, I thought about it and it kinda did, not a load bang...but a little pop. So I decided to break out the impact driver and check the flywheel key. Guess What...it was sheared. Could this have anything to do with my magneto failing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.