My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently purchased a used 17 HP Craftsman LT 1000 with hydrostatic transmission. When mowing I noticed the mower occasionally slips out of gear for about a second and then reengages. It only does this on a downgrade (downhill) and very slight downgrades will cause it. The rest of the time the mower runs strong on a flat surface and uphill. The transmission isn't making any grinding noises or unusual sounds. I checked the drive belt and it looked ok but I sprayed it with belt dressing anyway with no improvement. I was wondering if anyone had this issue before or knew of a fix? Any help would be appreciated as this is my first hydro. Model #917 271661
Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
With the hydro its more of a fluid connection to the wheels compared to a gear drive with a direct mechanical connection. So there is a fraction of a second where it kind of goes from a positive pressure to a negative fluid pressure and you feel like you go into sort of a coast mode of operation between the two. I think it is more noticeable on the hydro compared to my memory of my old gear drive Jacobsen when you go from the transmission pushing to holding you back. On my Deere I slowly let up on the forward peddle as I turn down hill to keep from picking up more speed then I want.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hi Traacer, it could also be you are losing traction for a second! It happens to me hear on the downhill, the rear tires try to hold me back, and they slide! Sounds like all is well with unit if it is strong on uphill. That seems to be when they show their weakness!

Reactions: Traacer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. My gut says there is something not quite right with this mower so I'm going to keep investigating. I don't think I'm losing traction as it does this on even slight downgrades. Slipping completely out of gear to almost a complete stop then reengaging would be a normal part of the hydro's function downhill? I don't know that much about them but this doesn't seem right. I guess I'll start with the belt and go from there. If anyone else has any other advice I would appreciate it.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
With an auto-braking hydro, there's usually a little bit of slack that has to be taken up when you go down a grade. It's probably normal, but if it doesn't feel right to you, then definitely go through the system and check it out.

·
1,329 Posts
This is a long shot, but it happened to a neighbors craftsman, i Found his problem and then solved the slightly same problem on my mower.
His mower acted up like you are describing, so I pushed it to my shop and checked it out. bottom line is this.
the right rear engine mount bolt fell out and layed in the clutch mechanism. that for some time made the clutch pedal hang up , if he hooked his foot under the pedal and pull it back it was perfect. Finally it locked the clutch from working at all. Good luck traacer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a long shot, but it happened to a neighbors craftsman, i Found his problem and then solved the slightly same problem on my mower.
His mower acted up like you are describing, so I pushed it to my shop and checked it out. bottom line is this.
the right rear engine mount bolt fell out and layed in the clutch mechanism. that for some time made the clutch pedal hang up , if he hooked his foot under the pedal and pull it back it was perfect. Finally it locked the clutch from working at all. Good luck traacer.
Thanks. I read that pulling back on the pedal could indicate a clutch issue and already tried that unsuccessfully but I will definitely give it a once over.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Traacer, you may be right about the belt slipping. Only you know if it doesn't feel right! Good luck! We will try to help as much as we can!

Reactions: Traacer

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
...Slipping completely out of gear to almost a complete stop then reengaging would be a normal part of the hydro's function downhill?....
Ah, I was thinking you had the opposite happening. So instead of intermittently speeding up your actually intermittently slowing down going downhill?

That is interesting. As I believe Eric brought up above, most of the hydro problems you hear about surround going up hill and lack of speed and strength. Wonder if there could be a little air in the system. Does it mention in your owners manual any procedure for bleeding the air on it?

(I was going to take a closer look at Sears Parts Direct what you have but as usual this time of night they are down for maintenance to the website. :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, I was thinking you had the opposite happening. So instead of intermittently speeding up your actually intermittently slowing down going downhill?

That is interesting. As I believe Eric brought up above, most of the hydro problems you hear about surround going up hill and lack of speed and strength. Wonder if there could be a little air in the system. Does it mention in your owners manual any procedure for bleeding the air on it?

(I was going to take a closer look at Sears Parts Direct what you have but as usual this time of night they are down for maintenance to the website. :rolleyes:)
Thanks Mark. I don't have the manual (yet) since I bought it used but wondered if it could be low fluid. I read some of those trannys are a bear to check and some are completely sealed. I don't know yet which kind I have but thought I would check the fluid if there was access on mine. At first glance it looks like a few parts are gonna have to come off to even get to it.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Thanks Mark. I don't have the manual (yet) since I bought it used but wondered if it could be low fluid. I read some of those trannys are a bear to check and some are completely sealed. I don't know yet which kind I have but thought I would check the fluid if there was access on mine. At first glance it looks like a few parts are gonna have to come off to even get to it.
Yours is a "sealed" unit according to the owners manual. The owners manual does show a procedure for purging any trapped air from it on page 16. Very long shot but nothing lost by trying it other then a few minutes of time. You can get the manual and see exploded parts diagrams for it here:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...elNumber=917271661&diagramPageId=&documentId=

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the manual link and info. I will try the purge and report the results.
The purge worked! Now I can really start bragging about the sweet mower I picked up for 75 bucks! Thanks Mark and everyone else who helped troubleshoot. Hopefully this post will save someone else a lot of time and trouble.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That's great! Nice work on the accomplishment! :cool

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Thank God it worked! I thought of it, but forgot to mention it! Good thing Bruce and Mark are on the ball! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts