My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a Craftsman DLT2000 with a hydrostatic transmission. The mower was sitting for a couple years before I got it and was told ran fine when parked.

The release valve is not functioning to allow it to be rolled around. It runs and drives in forwards and reverse but is now smoking and getting very hot from the location of the hydrostatic release valve. I have removed the brake to make sure that was not the issue and it did not resolve. Any suggestions on other things to try before I pull the transaxle?

Thanks

· Registered
587 Posts
Hello,
I have a Craftsman DLT2000 with a hydrostatic transmission. The mower was sitting for a couple years before I got it and was told ran fine when parked.

The release valve is not functioning to allow it to be rolled around. It runs and drives in forwards and reverse but is now smoking and getting very hot from the location of the hydrostatic release valve. I have removed the brake to make sure that was not the issue and it did not resolve. Any suggestions on other things to try before I pull the transaxle?

Thanks
ya its time to go in

if you never did one before i recommend you watch taryls video, it a simple easy rebuild but he covers all the details and things to look for pretty good

· Registered
164 Posts
The DLT2000 I have uses a Hydro Gear Transmission 323-0510. I've had mine about 10 years and the trans hasn't given any trouble. I would consider removing the fender pan and gas tank then visiting the quarter car wash if you have access to a trailer. You can also remove the 4 bolts that hold the rear part of the frame. Be sure the belt is not loose enough to slip on the pulley. If you do decide to go into it I found this video
Hydro-Gear also has some manuals online.
Cannon

· Registered
587 Posts
Thanks for the information and videos. Haven't attempted this repair previously but it looks doable. I'll update when I tear it down.
just remember to have a bucket or catch tray under it in case you drop something, and a good clean work space to lay everything out. this is not a job to do in the yard. the key is everything must be clean clean clean because it does matter, you only want to do this job once

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed the axle and tore it down. The filter was very dirty but all the parts looked good. I reassembled and it is now working. The bypass valve rotates further now than it did previously. Not exactly sure what the problem was but a tear down and rebuild resolved the problem. Thanks to those of you that shared info that helped me get this fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.