My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad has to jump start his tractor every time he wants to cut grass as the battery will not start it without a jump.

It's a briggs engine Model 286707 type 0441 01.

I've looked at the electrical diagram for it and there does not appear to be a regulator on it anywhere. As far as I can tell there's 3 possible parts that could be the culprit:

1. alternator
2. ign switch
3. solenoid

I highly doubt the alternator would just go bad but I am not a small engine guy. Are there test/checks I can do on each part that will narrow down my diagnosis so Dad doesn't have to push his mower from the shed to the garage before he can cut grass? I have a good fluke meter as I am somewhat of a hack auto mechanic.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
I probably won't be much help but this is my suggestion. First make sure all the wiring is in good shape and connected. Start it and pull the Positive battery terminal off of the battery if it dies then your alternator/stator is probably bad if not it could be your battery itself. If it starts with the key once it has the jumper cables hooked up then it shouldn't be the ignition switch or the solenoid in my opinion. Let me know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:ditto:
How old is the battery? 3-4 years old, probably time for a new one. Always keep it simple with electrical. Check all your connections first and make sure they are clean of corrosion and there is nothing loose before you start replacing components.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
First off,welcome to the site! Actually you can run a small engine without battery connected as it isn't required! The magneto creates its own power via magnets under flywheel. The solenoid is also not a issue with this. I would first check all connections as Five and shorty said. Then the issue is the Stator,which is under flywheel. This can burn out. Does the headlights work? This is usually he second half of stator circuit. Also, is it a electric PTO? If so, might be battery as Five said. Good luck!
Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts