My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine is a Kohler CV22-67515.

This tractor is at my lake house. Ran like a champ all last summer. I left a little bit of gas in it over the winter. Just to see if it would start with the old gas in it, I fired it up the weekend before last and it started right up with no problem. Ran for 30 seconds or a little more and then died. I didn't think much of it, figured I'd put some fresh gas in it and that it would run great again.

I also had left the battery in it over the winter without charging so I thought maybe the battery needed re-charged and that it could be a factor in causing the engine to die. So, I took it home and re-charged it slowly and brought it back down yesterday to give it another shot. NOTHING.

The motor will turn over and crank all day but it will not fire a single bit. I smelled gas but I'm not absolutely sure it is getting gas. After awhile I gave up because I could smell hot electrical parts (probably the starter) and I didn't want to burn anything up.

Suggestions on where to start? Obviously the questions seems to be to figure out if I have any spark to the plugs and then work from there.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
If you can smell gas, that usually means that you have fuel delivery. I would first check the spark plug for deposits, and clean or replace it. Try that and let us know how you come out.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Another consideration on the gas smell is your carb is flooded because you are getting fuel to the carb and maybe even in the bowl but the jets are plugged from stale gummed up fuel deposits and there is no delivery to the cylinders. You may need to clean the carb. You can also check the spark plugs to see if they are wet with gas. Another quick check is you can spray a little carb cleaner (or gas) down the carb and see if she'll fire up If she starts and revs up a sec or two then dies then your carb is in need of a cleaning (rebuild).

Safety tip: Do this out side preferably as fuel is flammable. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I got a chance to get back to it this weekend. Had my toolkit out, carb cleaner ready to go, and then I figured I'd give it one more chance. It started up relatively easily. Leads me to believe I had too much old gas in it and probably flooded it. Makes me wonder if I'd tried just a little bit more it would have started.

Ran for about 75 minutes with no issues at all so I'm assuming all is well.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice work! :cool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts