My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 hp craftsman briggs stratton that start but won't stay running. The bowl is metal. I have cleaned the carburetor. Don't know what I need to do to clean it. I just used a small toothbrush to clean it. Don't know if I am doing it right.

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
OK, you are heading in the right direction. You need to pull the carburetor off if you have not already. There will be a some small passages in there, and one or more of them are plugged up. You should get some spray carb cleaner and carefully clean those passages and pass a very small wire (copper speaker wire works good) thru them to clean them out. A bit of carb cleaner in the gas tank will help after you get it running. Good luck, and let us know if this works out for you or you need some more help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Without knowing the engine model number I will guess that the bowl nut is the main jet to the carb and is clogged. Use the pic below for reference. Have a good one. Geo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We tried cleaning the carb with carb cleaner and now it wont start. Also clean the bolt above. Before it will start but won't stay running. Now it won't even start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts