My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman 6.0 Gold lawnmower with Briggs & Stratton engine. Model 917. It has a bulb primer built into the air filter base. The primer air flow channel in the base is covered by the gasket to complete/seal the channel.

My problem is that I can only get the mower to start by spraying GumOut Carb/Choke cleaner directly into the mouth of the choke. Priming the engine using the bulb is not enough.

When I first took the unit apart, I discovered that the gasket was disintegrating and one of the hold-down screws was missing. I replaced the gasket and the screws and was careful not to over-tighten.

My problem remains unchanged.

Since I don't have a good view into the choke, I inserted a rolled up paper towel into the mouth, pressed the primer bulb and found that the paper towel was soaked in gas. Thus, the priming process appears to be working. After starting with GumOut, the mower runs fine.

Any ideas about a solution? I really don't know where to go next. I don't want to replace the air filter base and/or the bulb because, as far as I can determine, they are working just fine.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Jim K.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have had problems getting the gasket to seal on those Briggs engines on several occasions. With a flashlight you should be able to see a Geyser of fuel come out the top of the emulsion tube when the primer is pressed. I have even resorted to using a THIN coat of Permatex 2 on the gasket where it contacts the channel on the filter base. A video that addresses the problem
Cannon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts