My Lawnmower Forum banner

Cracking Tires

11K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  motorhead12 
I just rebuilt my wife's 1955 Schwinn Spitfire bicycle with the original tires on it. They were pretty much trashed. Lot's of research led me to John Deere tire restore and windshield caulk. With the tires unaired and the cracks as big as possible, I filled the cracks with caulk. I let that set for a few days then wiped off the excess. It will be a thin film that just rubs off with your fingers, the cracks will stay filled. Spray the tires liberally and repeatedly with the tire restorer, rub this in well each time. I would also put tubes in for a back-up. I've found a ton of uses for the JD tire restore. It cleans and shines like Armor All but doesn't leave the slippery, shiny film.

Sorry for the tardy reply, Proctors metal refinishing in Michigan, decals and a few other parts from Memory Lane Classics in Grand Rapids, Ohio. I was off work for about 8 mos. and had lots of time to "play." Loved every minute of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.