My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subject may have been brought up but I will again.
I have used and LIKE synthetic oil but till now have not found 30W oil in synthetic. I just sold 5 of my Snapper mowers to a fellow collector this fall and he has used Royal Purple 30W in his Snappers he collects. Says great results!!. Less smoke and oil consumption. Sound smoother.. I will get me some 30W Royal Purple and use it in my mowers and see how it works. I have used Royal Purple in my cars and snowmobiles and it has impressed me. Most of the time I use Mobile 1 it is more available and less costly. My small motors that take 30W has been just conventional oil.. Anybody else running Royal Purple 30W or other 30W synthetic in there small motors and walk behinds??? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
We run synthetic in our keepers. We use 10W-30 in Kohler powered units for the lifters. We use it in the cars also with good results!

Reactions: bwhitsonjr

·
Registered
730 Posts
We run synthetic in our keepers. We use 10W-30 in Kohler powered units for the lifters. We use it in the cars also with good results![/QUOT

BUT.....where do you find synth straight weight...? Is it strictly Royal Purple as the brand..? How much does a quart sell for..? I can't say that I see
any retail stores carrying "Synth" straight weight oils...near me...! And with the common 90+ Deg summer days, I don't care to use 10w oil in these "air cooled" engines...IMO...Oh no...here we go again ! Disregard

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
suspicionofignorance,, I agree with you I have not found straight weight synthetic on the store shelf just multigrade. My rule of thumb for me is straight weight for the splash lube motors. If there is an oil pump and filter I most likely will use multigrade.. The only straight 30W synthetic I see is Royal Purple,, have not found it in stores but on line Summit Racing has the best price on a case of 12. Free shipping over $100. Not sure I will use 12 for years. I might see if my local parts house can get me 4 Qts..
Is there another brand of synthetic 30W?????

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I've heard of Royal Purple 30W, but can't think of any others. I just use synthetic heavy-duty diesel oil in all the equipment.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sorry guys, was too early for me to write correctly. We use multi weight oils, ie mostly 10w30. Don't need to argue with anyone on choices. Just how we have done things. Doing this for years with good results.

Reactions: motorhead12

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have used Rotella 15W40 in all my power equipment for over 20 years with very good results, use it year round in Oklahoma, last year I started my 23 hp Kohler on z-turn at 9 degrees because I stupidly forgot to put generator behind mower (I remembered this year) and it started no problem, I did let it idle about 10 min. Before speeding up engine. :2cents:

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Yep, I think the extra anti-wear additives in diesel oil are a good thing for small engines, especially the ones with flat tappets. (Pretty much all small engines have these except Kohler Commands) A lot of newer formulation automotive oils have reduced levels of extreme pressure additives like ZDDP because of emissions regs and catalysts, which don't work well if the zinc gets in them from oil that gets burned somehow or other. Lower concentrations of these additives are fine for car engines with roller cams and other low-friction designs, but it's not ideal in your typical small engine that uses old style camshafts and lifters. The diesel oils have higher concentrations of these additives because they're designed for heavy duty engines and long oil change intervals.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with you motorhead12 on the Rotella 15W40 diesel oil I have used it. The ZDDP is part of the reason with the flat tappets. I still think I will get a couple of QTs of Royal Purple 30W.. Put them in my Racing mowers!!! LOL

·
Registered
730 Posts
All the major Oil companies, do extensive testing on their oils ... I find it interesting that NONE of them have now [or in past] ever offered their snth oil in straight weight...That I have ever heard of...Could there be a reason !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rotella T 15/40 or any of the multi fleet oils are some of the best for this.

Change oil often too.
The diesel oils are excellent for keeping a hot hard working mower engine clean, but if you do not have a filter to catch the dirt then you just have a lot of abrasive in suspension eating up your engine.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Yep, I think the extra anti-wear additives in diesel oil are a good thing for small engines, especially the ones with flat tappets. (Pretty much all small engines have these except Kohler Commands) A lot of newer formulation automotive oils have reduced levels of extreme pressure additives like ZDDP because of emissions regs and catalysts, which don't work well if the zinc gets in them from oil that gets burned somehow or other. Lower concentrations of these additives are fine for car engines with roller cams and other low-friction designs, but it's not ideal in your typical small engine that uses old style camshafts and lifters. The diesel oils have higher concentrations of these additives because they're designed for heavy duty engines and long oil change intervals.
Thanks for explaining the technical side of it. Never knew about ZDDP. I always wondered if Diesel oil was ok to use in my gasoline engine. Compare this to regular small engine oil from Briggs, Kohler, or Kawasaki. Do they still incorporate the higher concentrations of additives? Needed for old style camshafts and lifters?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I've heard that many of the small engine-branded oils still have the higher concentrations. If you look at the bottle, you'll see that the API service designation is often the older SJ code; these oils don't have to comply with the newer regs that automotive SN oils do.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I'll keep my eye open... But I'm not sure what the older SJ code would be?

·
Registered
650 Posts
on the subject of oil, this might in a different direction but I see a oil called super tech at Walmart..never used it but it's at least half price of what other oil is....is this recycled oil ?I tried to find info on the net but nothing to clear

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Same thoughts for me... But on a different brand. Noticed in my Auto Zone the other day they carry STP Fully Synthetic for $6.99 qt. That's $3 less per quart. Might be considered a knock off brand by some. You tell me? Synthetic is Synthetic?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts